Throttle Issue

Dzlman95

Dzlman95
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie here, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. My brother has a '97 F-250 H-D, PSD, A/T and it's been a great truck up until recently when we had a cold snap, then it developed a little throttle problem... When cold, it doesn't want to accellerate normally, it'll get up off idle barely, but won't go any faster even if the pedal is mashed to the floor. NOW, once it warms up, it runs fine, problem does not occur when temps are above 30. I've kind of ruled out the TPS because it works great when warm, or after you've run the truck awhile and it get's up to normal operating temp. Any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting? I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) and it totally normal for cold weather operation. It is a device used to aid the engine warm up faster.

Welcome to Oilburners.

Dzlman95

Dzlman95
Reaction score
Hi Stroker 95,

Thanks for the Welcome, and the reply. Is this behavior described/documented in the owners manual? I'm not trying to be a smarta**, but if this is "normal operation", then why doesn't my '95 PSD do it? I know several other guys who own PSD's and none I've talked to so far have experienced it. Just curious, I'm really trying to learn something here and save my brother from spending $$ he may not need to spend.

Thanks Again

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Many of us disconnect the wiring and/or completly remove it .

The piston that actuates the valve is dependant on oil pressure and becomes a pain in the butt oil leak due to it's location under the turbo.

That nd when you are running straight thru open exhaust, it changes the way the turbo sounds and some think it's removal lowers exhaust temps.

If you live anywhere but upper michigan, alaska etc... you can do no harm by disconnecting it....engine will still idle a bit higher when cold then return to normal after temps are reached.

Oh yea....welcome to oilburners ;Sweet :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of us disconnect the wiring and/or completly remove it .

Yep. Or remove it and leave the wiring connected so it doesn't throw a code;Sweet

If he decides to gut the EBPV from the turbo housing and plug the hole in the pedestal all he needs is
  • 1 - 20mm or 3/4" steel freeze plug (car quest will have them)
  • 1 - 1/4" NPT brass pipe plug (Lowes or about any hardware & autoparts store)
  • 1 - 1/4" tapered pipe tap (Lowes)
  • Turbo pedestal O-rings......all 4 of them
  • A day off to fuss with it.

Last edited:

Dzlman95

Dzlman95
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'm printing this info so when my brother get here this weekend we can take a look at it. I'll let you know what happens (if it don't rain!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online