Those of you using the 250 gal totes

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you using totes take the oil out of the bottom valve??
Or do you pull it out through the top somehow?
That bottom valve is usually plastic and doesn't look all that durable.:dunno
Just thinking about expanding things and those totes are plentiful.

sassyrel

Reaction score
How many of you using totes take the oil out of the bottom valve??
Or do you pull it out through the top somehow?
That bottom valve is usually plastic and doesn't look all that durable.:dunno
Just thinking about expanding things and those totes are plentiful.

plentiful where,,and how much?? the times i checked,,they thought they were gold...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tuesday night I went to a pesticide meeting, he mentioned a "place" that had quite a few.
His name is Joel DeJong, works for Iowa State University, I'm sure if a person emailed he would let you know.
Last year the EPA changed the regulations on these valves, they had to be updated or you would need a new tote.
One farm place locally I've seen 3 sitting outside, empty, just haven't talked to them.
I thought they were hard to get rid of, see em on CL every so often.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Dont use them personally but know theres a company around here where you can get used ones for around $50, personally if i had one Id pull from the bottom.

wdkingery

Reaction score
I am working with a tote. They are great; they are all over Craigslist (although some people think they are worth gold, but they are there) and the valve on the bottom is fine. Best part is, you can settle out your water to the bottom, and then hit that valve and let it all out. The bottom of the tote isn't perfect tho so, some water wants to stay.

Armo

Reaction score
You can obtain caps for totes that have a middle threaded portion that fit anything that can be threaded into a drum. Most totes on the bottom valve have a thread on portion for fittings or a cam lock fitting so i usually add on a hose to hang up on the side or a valve for the just in case but so far the built in valves have not leaked. I tend to use totes for pickup and storage since i dont like to keep large volumes of flammable liquid in my shop. I settle in multiple 55 gal drums since they are easier to move around.

If no totes are on craigs list call a few cattle feed and supplement places thats where i scored my first tote for $50. Keep an eye out for any empty ones outside anywhere and try to call whom ever they belong to. I did just that and was able to score 18 of them for free cause someone else left them there and the guy wanted them off his property. Unfortunately a flood came through and i lost half of them but the quality metal and plastic bottomed ones remained so i cant complain. Whats funny is after the flood i seen several people in town using them to transport water and other liquids so at least they floated to good homes!:rotflmao

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
The IBC totes I have for other uses all have a 2" Male NPT on them. they are recessed within the cage and pretty stout. It would take some real abuse to tear one of those loose I think.

Seems to me if they were safe enough to be transported w/ various other liquids and survive the abuse of forklift operators, they are probably fairly safe for a stationary use like holding WMO.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Dont use them personally but know theres a company around here where you can get used ones for around $50, personally if i had one Id pull from the bottom.
I think I saw a CL ad for those awhile back.
I'm a hop and a skip from tulsa.

I see them from $25-150 quite often.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 4 IBCs for my dewatering. There are many different types of totes and valves. I try to get the American IBCs with the ball valve. I have one IBC that drips slightly, but I just put the dust cap on it.

Do not drain the IBC completely into your filters or 'fuge as you will get water out of the bottom. The water settles in the corners. You can raise the front of the tank to make the water settle in the rear, or add a drain hose 3" above the main valve.

They work decent, but I am still waiting on a stainless settling tank to fall onto my lap.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They work decent, but I am still waiting on a stainless settling tank to fall onto my lap.[/QUOTE]

That would be sweet.;Sweet

I'm glad to hear that everyone using a tote is working ok. I have a tote that's a older one, on a wood pallet.
The lid is a type that has a center 2" standard bung. Haven't used it yet but just thinking about future projects.
Thanks guys keep the stories coming.

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
I personally think IBC totes r the way to go if u have the space. I have 4 of the 325 gallons size ones. I keep 3 in my garage and the 4th I use to trans port oil in.
I do not pull oil from the bottom of the totes. I pump from the top and the main reason for that is, what happens if I dont get the valve shut tight or if it starts to leak, then I got a mess all over the floor.
The 3 in my garage I use in kind of a rotation form,I pull oil form #1 tote while #2 and #3 totes r full and settling all the junk to the bottom. I pull oil from #1 tote until its empty. My empty is their is usually about 8 to 10 inches of oil left in the bottom. So once the #1 tote is empty I move on to #2.
Now that I have an empty I take #4 tote to work, fill it up and return home to refill #1, so i can cap it and let it start to settle out all the junk for a few months. My #4 tote is the only one I use the bottom valve on as its so easy to get the oil out that way. I have it adapted down to a 1" hose and since the tote is in the back of my truck and heigher than the empty, I can just back into the garage and put the hose into the empty tote and just turn the valve and let gravity take over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online