Thinking of building a trailer

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last truck I pulled over the weight limit of the truck big mistake. Got a ticket for over weight(for the truck I was driving. They called it unsafe load.) and blown head gasket. I was in a 98 4x4 ranger with a 3.0l pulling a 2500 pound car hauler with a 97 z71 extended cab long bed. Total on that was around 7200 to 7500 pounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I saw one of your buddies the other day lol! Little ranger with a full size 1970's caddy on a heavy steel deck car trailer. His hitch was almost on the ground. It was kinda scary to see honestly...

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised I didn't pull the bumper right off or break the axle. I didn't have a drop hitch.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

What we did for a deck, this is on the F350, but the principle is the same, only 10 screws to hold deck down, eliminated a lot of drilling, also makes it easy to remove for service/repair. used 5/16 FHCS and 1/4x3 HR bar stock. We inset the bar stock, in the front we welded angle across so that deck boards slid under and are trapped, these are 5/4 deck boards. 1 bar at the rear, 1 in the middle angle at the front.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a 34ft camper trailer 5th wheel for 250. I pick it up this weekend.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thought I was going to get it but sold that sucks found a gooseneck for 600 it's a 8x18

Figor

Reaction score
That tilt trailer is pretty slick. I'd like to seen some plans on that or at least some detailed pics. I've got a tilt bed but it's configured a little different. I don't think it would take much to redo it like that one.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/threads/im-moving.78939/

My trailer in this thread above is a 7' x 22'+ 2' dovetail with two 7k axles. 8" channel fenders that are indestructible so they can be driven over and things sat down on them. With a heavy gooseneck, 8' deck up there, steel main deck and a few chains, it is darn close to 6,000lbs. I wish it had the drive-over fenders and the 8.5' wide deck the whole way. If I keep it a few more years I'll probably get the welder out one winter and do that to it.

I had a 7'x24' straight bumper pull before that that and it was above 3000lbs if I recall correctly. Not sure how to make a 20' come in closer to 2000lbs without underbuilding it.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up that rusty white one. Didn't look to bad for 600 can't really beat it it's 8ft by 18 ft. Dude didn't know much about it but it looks like a 7k trailer 3 leaf axles running 15 wheels. The headache rack has got to go. Don't like it little paint and some new lights will look good.

Now this will happen in few years from now if I keep it. Extending the trailer to 25 esh feet or so. Is that possible or too much headache.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tilt trailer is pretty slick. I'd like to seen some plans on that or at least some detailed pics. I've got a tilt bed but it's configured a little different. I don't think it would take much to redo it like that one.

I'll try to grab some pictures tomorrow. It's got dual cylinders and I've drug 9000lb electric reach trucks up on it. what's nice it's it power lifts so high you can easily remove all 4 wheels to service even without a truck hooked up to it. When you use a manual tilt what you're loading has to be able to move to unload it to get it to tilt, it also means you can't load anything up front like skid loader attachments or it won't tilt anymore.

That trailer is basically a split frame with two pivot pins not just a deck that pivots over the axles

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pics

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a few more

Figor

Reaction score
Oh yeh I see now. My trailer pivots behind the axle....hmm got the wheels turning now. Thanks.