The right pre-charged anti-freeze

jericho

Reaction score
I'm really confused with all the threads I've read on what can be used and what products are compatible with each other.
On a recent 2k mi round trip I had just changed coolant before with peak fleet charge, reading here somewhere that it was good for our engines. ('93 F250 na copper radiator) 340 miles from home my water pump seal let go with a steady flow. Pulling a new trailer and not wanting to search for a good mechanic I drove all the way home after stocking up on 15 gal. of water. Stopping every 30-35 miles to add about 3/4 gal. of water I made it home fine but wore out, going thru NYC was was the hard part, with one stretch from Staten Island to Queens with no place to pull over. Used about 10 gal overall. Whew!
Now I'm pretty sure this was the original 27 year old water pump and the strain of a long trip might have been the last straw. But when I had changed the fluid I didn't do a flush so the block still had old in it. Fleetguard.
Now I'm ready to install the new motorcraft pump arriving tomorrow. the block drain plugs are out and I've poured distilled water in the 4 holes where the water pump goes to help flush everything out. Is there still much coolant left in the block after the drain plugs are removed? I'm going to also try to flush the heater out. Is peak fleetcharge good for our application? Do the SCA's need to be added to later? If so, I have some fleetguard DCA4 additive and Ford additive. Are they compatible with the peak, or each other?
Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any help, got a lot of long trailer hauls in the near future.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the Ford VC8 additive is the same as DCA4. Can't really speak for the coolant as I never looked into the fleetcharge myself.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a coolant filter with a precharged filter. Two birds one stone.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Good idea but not infallible. Still need to test. The time dissolving pellet of SCA’s that are in coolant filters that are formulated for conventional green coolant is for make up not initial fill. So if you filled the system with fresh coolant (not fleetcharge) and a fresh filter the levels would still be too low.

jericho

Reaction score
Fleet charge is definitely the right thing for older diesels.
SCA’s are a sacrificial additive (it gets eroded instead of your cylinder walls.) so it has to be monitored and more poured in over time.
Thanks ,that is good news. I already have the Peak fleet charge and those 2 bottles of additive for further down the road. I'll just need to get those test strips for later

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For the unanswered question, yes there will still be a small amount of coolant left after the block plugs are removed, but it will be next to nothing.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Napa green coolant, and Napa test strips and NapaKool additive to bring the levels back up when needed. It's available pretty much everywhere, and the nitrite additive is what we're supposed to use, I think. Nothing wrong with other options, but this is a cheap one for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online