The Gear Hunter - E40D Shifting Problem

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a 93 F-250 with auto tranny that can't seem to make up its mind which gear to be in under light load. It's constantly jumping from 3-2-3-2 as I drive around town, so I either have to put my foot in it or back-off entirely. Transmission was recently rebuilt.

The NPS looks to be OK (black casing as opposed to brown), I've replaced the TPS and have ordered a new VSS. The TPS may not be calibrated so that's next.

I've ordered an Innova OBD1 code reader off Ebay.

Any thoughts or recommended service procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly in Big Lake
92 F-250 7.3L IDI NA E40D Auto

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

How about the tach sensor? There's a how-to on the TPS (also called FIPL) in the tech section.

Add your truck info in your signature line to help folks out when diagnosing issues.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

How about the tach sensor? There's a how-to on the TPS (also called FIPL) in the tech section.

Add your truck info in your signature line to help folks out when diagnosing issues.

Good Point - the Tach often reads '0' when Idling. Will have to look into this as well.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's common for the stock sensor to fail, and reading zero at idle is a definite sign. The end cap with the wire leads is poorly sealed.

I have rescued a couple with an alcohol bath to drive our moisture and then gobbed the end cap with liquid e-tape. it's not guaranteed, but worth a shot

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

ordered a replacement from the Ford dealer for $95. we'll see what happens.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know where your at in BC, but riotwarrior is in Cawston BC by Penticton. Pretty knowledgeable on these IDI's. He can also time it for you.

You said NPS. Do you mean MLPS. (Manual Lever Position Sensor)?

If the Tach isn't working like it should, your probably driving in LIMP mode, which is not good on the tranny. If the Tach is working half assed, the tranny just don't know what gear to drive in.

Tach and speedo has to work like they should, and the TPS voltage is set to .92 to 1.2, the lower the voltage the softer the shift.

If your going to pull codes, the throttle has to be held to the floor or you'll get a code 23, or you'll get all kinds of false codes.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know where your at in BC, but riotwarrior is in Cawston BC by Penticton. Pretty knowledgeable on these IDI's. He can also time it for you.

You said NPS. Do you mean MLPS. (Manual Lever Position Sensor)?

If the Tach isn't working like it should, your probably driving in LIMP mode, which is not good on the tranny. If the Tach is working half assed, the tranny just don't know what gear to drive in.

Tach and speedo has to work like they should, and the TPS voltage is set to .92 to 1.2, the lower the voltage the softer the shift.

If your going to pull codes, the throttle has to be held to the floor or you'll get a code 23, or you'll get all kinds of false codes.

Thanks Bill,
You'd think my tranny rebuild guy would know some of this stuff.

I was referring to the Neutral Safety Switch, but obviously got that abbreviation wrong. I found the FIPL (TPS) Adjustment procedure.

I've connected with riotwarrior way down South in Cawston and we're working on a few things (engines & diff's), together. He's not an E40D fan - can't say I am either at this moment, but I'm open to having my mind changed.

Should see my code reader in the mail soon and we'll see if that adds to or abates my current situation.

Kelly

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's common for the stock sensor to fail, and reading zero at idle is a definite sign. The end cap with the wire leads is poorly sealed.

I have rescued a couple with an alcohol bath to drive our moisture and then gobbed the end cap with liquid e-tape. it's not guaranteed, but worth a shot

Hey BD thanks for the great advice. I finally got that new Tach Sensor in today and the gear hunting has stopped!! thanks Dude.

Now I just need to follow the FIPL (TPS) adjustment procedure and we'll back in business.

all the best,
KB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance