TC, flex plate, transmission?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is making a grinding sound in the transmission in every gear except for neutral. This leads me to believe the TC is on its way out. Any suggestions for a replacement? I do very little towing and the truck is more of a daily driver. Thanks.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a transmission rebuilder? I'm thinking that if the TC is making noise there's a chance that debris has now contaminated the tranny.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some people still talk about BTS, but the wait is iffy, especially for any warranty work. There were a few more I remember seeing talked about on PSA, just don't recall the names.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people still talk about BTS, but the wait is iffy, especially for any warranty work. There were a few more I remember seeing talked about on PSA, just don't recall the names.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BTS wants $5k for "stage 1"....doubt the truck is worth that much!

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built the E4OD that is in my 84 E350. I did it "by the book". I spent three days assembling the transmission, and two days on the valve body kit. I built the trans based on an update book.

Had I started another the next day I probably could have finished it in one day. And the tenth ten days latter about a half day. I relate this to give an idea what professional labor time really is.

The general guide for building an early E4OD is to build to 1997 level. If you already have a 97, your are just replacing worn parts.

My van weighs 9K# and has done many cross country trips.

I get triple disk billet converters from Roadrunner, Phoenix, AZ; $400.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
When my converter went I put the one from advance auto in it and didn't have any problems. I've pulled cars with it. not talking down any other converter I'm just putting that out there.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My luck replacing just the TC and the transmission will go ruining the new TC.

Once I get the flexplate in its going to be a wait and see approach.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My luck replacing just the TC and the transmission will go ruining the new TC.

Once I get the flexplate in its going to be a wait and see approach.

Have you dropped the trans pan? Does it have a magnet? Is the magnet full of steel parts?