Tar like "gasket" around the trans tunnel?

troutski

Reaction score
HI there hive mind,
Finally have fabbed up a new trans tunnel cover after the addition of a Ranger Torque splitter. The donor tunnel has some kind of asphalt soft schmoo around the perimeter., What is the go to substitute? I assume the original stuff causes cancer in baby seals.
This is the interface between the trans tunnel and the cab floor.

I assume it was for noise/vibration.

Silly, since an NA 6.9 T19 4x4 is not OSHA approved without hearing protection,

Thanks,

Mark

troutski

Reaction score
Thanks!,

I hope not, new clutch, resurfaced FW, new splitter, all new DS bearings, Yeah, I'll be back in there in no time :rolleyes:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I used windshield sealant for this on my Bronco conversion. I'm going to try RTV next time. It will be far easier to remove if I ever have to take the cover off.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like butyl duct seal. Like what HVAC guys use between sections of sheet metal ductwork. It never sets or gets hard. I would probably avoid silicone or urethane caulk, because you would probably mangle the tunnel if you ever had to take it back off. A soft foam weather strip would work, the only downside being that it might hold some moisture.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I believe this is the stuff I used for sealing heater boxes and things going up against and through the firewall. You seen it used in cars but probably never bought it.

It comes out the color black and is slightly runny. Can seal well up to about 1/4 of an inch. Dries to a soft rubber feel. If you have bigger gaps it does not want to build up, rather wants to lay down more flat. Easy to pull apart in the future too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I have some on order now. I just didn't know what to use before. I'll bet that it is what was used to seal a HVAC box to the firewall.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
Hi All, I plan on getting some RV window sealer to seal my trans tunnel, it's about 3/4" wide and seals good. I used it when I restored my pick up camper windows and it worked great. You should be able to get it at any RV repair shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online