Tank selector

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I dense, I worked on an 88 F 150 today. My Son in Law is swapping our had work for a MAVERICK. One of the problems was that it would start and run, then sputter and die, then not restart . It's a 5.0. We worked our way back though the fuel system, filter pump and then the tank selector. It was stuck between tanks. My Son in Law was under the truck and asked me where the plug was on the switch. I told him where to look and it wasn't there, there wasn't a place for anything to plug into. We pulled the switch and took it apart and set it for the front tank and put everything back together and it ran.

There was no wiring harness and no place on the switch to plug anything in. What am I missing.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
its a diaphragm valve in it. there are low pressure fuel pumps in the tank and that low pressure is what switches the internal valving over. On some trucks there is also a filter in there too!

ford still has it last i checked a few months ago for my 89 F250. About 90 if i remember. The oring are known to go bad in them. Usually if it doesn't switch, check the low pressure fuel pumps in tank.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned something today, thank you. I figured that they were like mine. Though I pulled one off an 86 that was power operated like my 93.