Tank Heater Length

TestDriver

Reaction score
I'm going to work on making a tank heater this weekend for the front tank on my 94 F350. Before I drop the tank, I'd like to have the heater built so that it won't sit as long.

Can someone here provide the diameter and length of the commercially available units? I've got some stainless stock but if I'm missing the right OD for the outer tube, I can get some tomorrow.

Thanks.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Tank Ring Stuck

Well, no replies so, I went off on my own.

I made a heater out of some two inch stainless I had laying around. From outside measurements, I made the tube about 10 inches long but it's placement will vary. It's got an inner tube about 7/8 of an inch inside of it then an 1/2 tube inside of that one where the fuel will be run. All the construction is stainless with the end caps machined from solid. I'll post a picture of it soon.

My progress was halted by the tank's sender/pickup retainer ring. It seems to be frozen in place by rust. When I tried to remove it using a driver and hammer method, all that happens is that the tangs get sheared right off. Now I've only got two tangs left and they're useless for removal without a special tool.

I'm considering cutting notches on the exposed material and continuing the driving method. The ring will be replaced anyway but I don't want to damage the surrounding stuff. Is this thing a common problem? I've see several posts regarding the pickup tube where the procedure involves removing this ring but no indication of it being as big a hassle as I seem to have.