Takes 10 seconds to start after changing oil...

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...so for the last month my truck has been starting kinda rough...it takes a little bit more cranking to get it started...especially when i plug it in cause its warm out......i figured it was cause I had.....15,000 on my oil....:idiot: :cry: ...so i parked it last week cause ive been riding my bike all week....i didnt start it before i went and changed the oil today to rotella synthetic 5-40......now it takes me like 10 seconds of cranking to start it....once i get it started and shut it down then start it again right after its fine...but if i wait a minute or 2 it will take 10 seconds again....im thinking somethings messed up in my HPOP???....is there a check valve or something that keeps it primed that could be bad???.....

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Over at SSD.com, we were talking about this last week.
I looked up a TSB for a long crank time issue, the TSB even came right out and said that 15 seconds of crank time was acceptable...

BUT

the first thing they had you checking was the oil level in the HPOP

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I looked up a TSB for a long crank time issue, the TSB even came right out and said that 15 seconds of crank time was acceptable...

Your serial right :eek: ;Really

Disconnect the IPR and get your watch out and see just how long 15 seconds of solid cranking is.....even a kid would be asking "Is the truck OK daddy?"

Those people get PAID to distribute that crap cookoo

Apologys for the sarcasam Bear :cheers! but with BS like that available from the manufacture , It's no wonder people talk trash about a given engine/truck :mad:

back on topic....
Muddinkev44, please look here

for some good info Tonkadoc {Mike} found.

First thing I would do is after the engine has started and run a few minutes is with the engine shut down, remove the little plug on the drivers side top of the HPOP resivour,
and use a pencil to check the oil level.....then after the engine set a while, or overnite if possible, re-check the oil llevel.....if lower than when shut down, good possibility of a worn lube pump.....just read the entire thread I linked.

may save you some headaches ;Sweet

I'm sure Tonka will chime in to help fill in any grey areas:D

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Your serial right :eek: ;Really

Disconnect the IPR and get your watch out and see just how long 15 seconds of solid cranking is.....even a kid would be asking "Is the truck OK daddy?"

Those people get PAID to distribute that crap cookoo

Apologys for the sarcasam Bear :cheers! but with BS like that available from the manufacture , It's no wonder people talk trash about a given engine/truck :mad:

back on topic....
Muddinkev44, please look here

for some good info Tonkadoc {Mike} found.

First thing I would do is after the engine has started and run a few minutes is with the engine shut down, remove the little plug on the drivers side top of the HPOP resivour,
and use a pencil to check the oil level.....then after the engine set a while, or overnite if possible, re-check the oil llevel.....if lower than when shut down, good possibility of a worn lube pump.....just read the entire thread I linked.

may save you some headaches ;Sweet

I'm sure Tonka will chime in to help fill in any grey areas:D

hey not a problem...
I, uh, have recently aquired a thickend epidermal membrane. I read that and thought it was crap, too, but then before I had problems with my truck last week, it was taking about ten seconds to fire off, so I didn't think it was out of the ordinary.

But anyway, the first thing thay have you do in the TSB was checking the HPOP for oil drainback; then disconnecting the IDM (which is in a friggin JEWEL of a spot) and testing continuity to ground and the comm link with the PCM, ohming the injectors (found one of mine open on the high side), etc, THEN checking glowplug operation...

anyhow...
another thing I found interesting was in scanning mine, I found cranking RPM to only be about 95 rpm or so... I tested the batteries, found one trash, replaced them both, and got crank rpm up to about 105... somehow I'm thinking it sould be 125 or better, but I can't find a published spec...