Swap cab or swap motor?

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just something im curious about.

i want to swap a 7.3 idiT into my ‘93F250 SCLB with 351w and M/t.

ive been pondering how I would do it; im wondering if its easier to pull the cab and swap those on the same cab/bed size truck. Considering I would need to swap the dash anyway.

I would probably do it the same way you’d pull a cab on a 6.0+psd where most everything stays in place.

would that be easier than redoing the powertrain mounts and getting all the gizmo’s hooked up? I would like my A/C and cruise to work which im assuming would be the hard part.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still pretty novice but I'm going with cab swap, you can always shorten the frame and driveshaft if your switching it from long box to short, getting the engine all swapped over to the gasser frame I'd be too worried about precision and getting the dimensions right. I'm sure others will chime in and hey maybe the more experienced will disagree with me.

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
I'm still pretty novice but I'm going with cab swap, you can always shorten the frame and driveshaft if your switching it from long box to short, getting the engine all swapped over to the gasser frame I'd be too worried about precision and getting the dimensions right. I'm sure others will chime in and hey maybe the more experienced will disagree with me.

I would like to keep with a SCLB unless I find a worth CCLB. Just for simplicity but I need an 8ft bed for my uses, plus cab space is nice.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
For me, it would really come down to the donor truck's configuration and condition. Then take the path of least resistance to combine the two.

Pulling the cab to replace the engine is the way to go on the 99+ trucks because of the massive cowl overhang. This is not the case on the OBS. I would be looking to add in a ~2" body lift to help deal with the tight clearance at the turbo and downpipe. I pulled a turbo from an IDIT once - as a favour... won't sign up for that job again... Lol

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it would really come down to the donor truck's configuration and condition. Then take the path of least resistance to combine the two.

Pulling the cab to replace the engine is the way to go on the 99+ trucks because of the massive cowl overhang. This is not the case on the OBS. I would be looking to add in a ~2" body lift to help deal with the tight clearance at the turbo and downpipe. I pulled a turbo from an IDIT once - as a favour... won't sign up for that job again... Lol

Another relative novice here but I can attest to the cramped quarters on the OBS idit. I installed the factory ATS setup on Diego my '90, now owned by @chillman88 . I removed it again to install on Raylan, installing the one from Raylan back on to the '90. I might do a 2' body lift on Raylan just to make future work easier...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online