Super duty leaf spring rear shackle question

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out the rear axle and replaced the sagging leaf springs at same time. The shackle was not rusty so I am reusing. I will buy new ones if need be. But I am confused on the OEM shackle, when the bolt is tightened down (spring-to-shackle bolt) it no longer moves very much by hand, only the deflection of the rubber bushing allows any movement. Is that that way its supposed to be? I thought I'd be able to rotate the shackle easily by hand, ie the metal sleeve should rotate inside the rubber bushing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A195LXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok after some more research. Its supposed to be like this. the flex is done by the bushing, the sleeve is bonded to the rubber bushing and the sleeve is captive when the bolt is tightened down. Truck must be on its tires before tightening these bolts.

Ive done the urethane replacement bushings in the shackles before on other vehicles, bushing is greased and the sleeve rotates. These rotate more freely. Thats what confused me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online