Stub-Shaft Universal...*** Ford!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I thought I'd go after that center u-joint...because it's original from 1988.cookoo

I gotta wonder what the Fu*k Ford was thinking when they designed the IFS 4x4 drive line on my 1988.
Just to service two little things such as the Stub-Shaft oil seal and u-Joint both wheels and related items have to come off..BOTH...axles need to come out and THEN the Transfer-Case drive shaft...THEN...Carrier housing (my poor back) must be pulled just to gain access to one stinking little SOB (snap ring) that then allows the Stub Axle to be removed for service.
*** Ford! -cuss

Several years back I replaced both outboard u-joints so at least the Spindles should come out semi easy.:rolleyes:

*This might just wait till spring.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Hey Hammer, if it's just the u joint....it can be done w/o pulling the axle ;Sweet

I have a cheapie Harbor Freight u joint linky kit that has a really decent frame and screw!
There is just enough room to fit the puller in and take care of business on both removal and install!
AND!....the cups will pass thru the eye!

and yes ...I did mine on the ground.....

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
u can do it in the truck as said but it is tricky. a few fellas with dana 44 TTBs use a oxyfuel torch to cut the caps off and press them out as well.

a common trick among 4x4 guys is to eliminate the c clip and use a spring to retain the stub shaft.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
humm... i'll have to try that, my '93 ranger i replaced all the balljoints, outer joints but couldn't figure out that f#$king center joint.it sqeaks like a ******* with the hubs locked, no grease fitting either! :mad: still have the u-joint on my dresser haha.

-Jon

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Hammer, if it's just the u joint....it can be done w/o pulling the axle ;Sweet

I have a cheapie Harbor Freight u joint linky kit that has a really decent frame and screw!
There is just enough room to fit the puller in and take care of business on both removal and install!
AND!....the cups will pass thru the eye!

and yes ...I did mine on the ground.....
Thanks for the feedback...;Sweet
So you're saying there's enough slip between the right-shaft assenbly and the stub-shaft to allow the removal and installation of the u-joint. (great info)!

*Shame we couldn't drill a endcap and install a grease zerk fitting. My outside replacement u-joints came w/zerks on one endcap (nice)

*I guess no one ever came up with a 2-piece replacement seal for the stub axle/carrier housing location??? So if that has a sloooow weep everything must still come apart huh:frustrate

Last edited: