stronger a/c fan

swuchase1

Reaction score
Has anyone put in a stronger (blows harded) fan in a 1988. i would like to and was wondering if anyone has done the leg, R/D for me on this. Thanks in advance

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been said that you can use a fan out of a Crown Victoria...IIRC the motor's the same basic design, but with a slightly larger squirrel cage that barely fits in our box. I don't know what CV year range to look at, though.

Another modification would be to do some rewiring so that you're getting all available current to and from the blower. MIDNIGHT RIDER did this successfully; you can do a search for one of his posts detailing how to do it...although I still want to see about finding a way to do it with relays and the factory switch (that's a personal preference thing; I like for things to look as close to factory as possible).

Lastly, have you pulled your blower motor? There's a very real chance that the motor's not putting out the RPM's that it's supposed to...especially if it's the original motor, the bearings are probably dry and creating a considerable amount of drag on the motor, keeping it from turning at full speed AND making it draw more power. At the very least, I would pull the motor, make sure there aren't any leaves or such inside the a/c-heater box (there almost certainly will be!), see how freely the motor spins, and do what you can to lubricate the bearings with 3-in-1 oil. It may not make the blower motor last indefinitely, but it'll at least help it along for the moment. At the same time, take a close look at the plug...if the motor's been drawing more current than it's meant to, the plug may be partially melted and the contacts may no longer have a full connection.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

swuchase1

Reaction score
It's been said that you can use a fan out of a Crown Victoria...IIRC the motor's the same basic design, but with a slightly larger squirrel cage that barely fits in our box. I don't know what CV year range to look at, though.

Another modification would be to do some rewiring so that you're getting all available current to and from the blower. MIDNIGHT RIDER did this successfully; you can do a search for one of his posts detailing how to do it...although I still want to see about finding a way to do it with relays and the factory switch (that's a personal preference thing; I like for things to look as close to factory as possible).

Lastly, have you pulled your blower motor? There's a very real chance that the motor's not putting out the RPM's that it's supposed to...especially if it's the original motor, the bearings are probably dry and creating a considerable amount of drag on the motor, keeping it from turning at full speed AND making it draw more power. At the very least, I would pull the motor, make sure there aren't any leaves or such inside the a/c-heater box (there almost certainly will be!), see how freely the motor spins, and do what you can to lubricate the bearings with 3-in-1 oil. It may not make the blower motor last indefinitely, but it'll at least help it along for the moment. At the same time, take a close look at the plug...if the motor's been drawing more current than it's meant to, the plug may be partially melted and the contacts may no longer have a full connection.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

thanks a lot for this info i will look into my fan and also see what Crown We're also looking to collaborate Vic may work if i find something i will post Thanks again

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My blower doesn't put out nearly what my GF's does, in her truck. I opened the air box and found that my A/C evaporator is almost completely plugged up. I sprayed some evap cleaner in it, but it was just too junked up. I'm going to have to pull the entire air box and clean it right. I'm hoping that doing it that way, will help give me more air flow.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My blower doesn't put out nearly what my GF's does, in her truck. I opened the air box and found that my A/C evaporator is almost completely plugged up. I sprayed some evap cleaner in it, but it was just too junked up. I'm going to have to pull the entire air box and clean it right. I'm hoping that doing it that way, will help give me more air flow.

A little off topic maybe. Our Dodge conversion Van Ac almost completly quit.It was icing up -but why after adding a charge it was still bad. (I'm not an AC guy but have a little common sense -very little :dunno) I found that there is a thermo probe (called a cycling switch)in the evaporator fins to prevent icing -tested it. It had fallied & dodge has none in stock 45 on back order (thatks Crysler corp).
I got one at a pick a part in Tulsa. When I went to put it in I was amazed at how much dusty hairy crap was in the evaporator.(I,m making a dust filter for the inside intake duct) The vehicle was never a great cooiling vehicle. While I had the blower motor out I spun the motor it felt kinda dry. So now to fix it all. First I used a file card to pull the dust away from the evaporator (has a very small opening to get at it). next I cut my shop vac wand at an angle so I could get it flat to the evaporator & vacumed it as best I could. Then I sprayed it with Mr clean -got brave and hosed it with water (the floor will dry)-vacumed again. Installed thermal switch & new motor (the squirrel cage was stuck in the motor with rust on the shaft) so I replaced the squirrel cage also.The new one was metal -not plastic & a little longer. Now the ducts on the dash runs between 45 & 50* as the system cycles,our hair blows in the wind when its on high.We don't run high any more even when the grandchildren are in the back as they complain about "the cold",It does have rear air & thats next to get serviced. Even it the 100* temps we have been having for the first time it cools while idiling. We now jokingly call it the "cube Van". As for the blower motor it blows more than the stock one did.
I just wrote this to empasize how important regular servicing and cleaning of the evaporator helps.

What I really want is a pat on the back (should I turn around)? :angel:

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
how about a thanks, thats some good info mister bill!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A little off topic maybe. Our Dodge conversion Van Ac almost completly quit.It was icing up -but why after adding a charge it was still bad. (I'm not an AC guy but have a little common sense -very little :dunno) I found that there is a thermo probe (called a cycling switch)in the evaporator fins to prevent icing -tested it. It had fallied & dodge has none in stock 45 on back order (thatks Crysler corp).
I got one at a pick a part in Tulsa. When I went to put it in I was amazed at how much dusty hairy crap was in the evaporator.(I,m making a dust filter for the inside intake duct) The vehicle was never a great cooiling vehicle. While I had the blower motor out I spun the motor it felt kinda dry. So now to fix it all. First I used a file card to pull the dust away from the evaporator (has a very small opening to get at it). next I cut my shop vac wand at an angle so I could get it flat to the evaporator & vacumed it as best I could. Then I sprayed it with Mr clean -got brave and hosed it with water (the floor will dry)-vacumed again. Installed thermal switch & new motor (the squirrel cage was stuck in the motor with rust on the shaft) so I replaced the squirrel cage also.The new one was metal -not plastic & a little longer. Now the ducts on the dash runs between 45 & 50* as the system cycles,our hair blows in the wind when its on high.We don't run high any more even when the grandchildren are in the back as they complain about "the cold",It does have rear air & thats next to get serviced. Even it the 100* temps we have been having for the first time it cools while idiling. We now jokingly call it the "cube Van". As for the blower motor it blows more than the stock one did.
I just wrote this to empasize how important regular servicing and cleaning of the evaporator helps.

What I really want is a pat on the back (should I turn around)? :angel:

Sounds like you had fun with it. Wish I was there to help. Well not really :D ( some friend huh :eek: Nothing worse than tearing into a van dash.I think I 'd about rather take a beating than have to work in a van dash. Glad that mess worked out.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well Robert actually after I got finished being stupid,tugging etc to get the motor out,bending stuff etc. It was easy too easy ,I juat had to accept that I had to take other things apart -then I found that I didn't have to take them too far apart to accomplish the job. It was about 98* outside the shop was full so I did it outside. If I had to do it again I could do it in about an hour. I guess I ain't as smart as I thunked I was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online