straight piping a 5.9 cummins good or bad?

Mikeyfly7

Reaction score
A friend of mine was thinking of installing a performance exhaust on his 98.5 cummins dodge. I suggested straight piping it with a 3" or 4" exhaust system. He said he had heard that straight piping it was somehow bad on the engine. I can't see how this could be a problem with a turbocharger. If there is something I am missing here, please advise. Thanks Mike

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
everyone i know with a 5.9 runs an all 4inch exhaust no muffler or anything. my one buddy wants to run a 5 inch down pipe to an all 5inch exhaust system right now hes runin a stock downpipe to an all 5inch exhaust it shouldn't cause any issues the only vehicles that need a muffler is a stock gasser

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
free-flowing exhaust is never bad for any engine. if it isn't turbo'd, it will be very bad for your wallet in the form of a noise ticket. A turbo helps cut down the high rpm bark but doesn't eliminate it. On my commercial trucks, I have a straight through chambered muffler with a louvered core to handle the noise. My personal truck has no muffler whatsoever, but I do have a very judicious right foot that behaves when I am in town.:D

Mikeyfly7

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back quick guys. I didn't think there was any problem with a straight pipe but I don't own a dodge so I didn't want to offer any bad info without consulting someone who has done this. I'll have him read these posts and hopefully this will ease his mind.

bentwings

Reaction score
I've got 250k on my 99 DCTD 200k without a muffler or resonator. Runs just fine. I have an easy foot too where required. Nothing like a 99 24 valve for making noise however. I have to be carefull pulling my streetrod trailer up a hill in town. It won't break windows but it will set off car arlarms. haha :rotflmao

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
All of my diesels have had their mufflers removed. I did install a straight through glass pack muffler on my 24v to take down some of the bite and that gave it a nice sound. Of course, I live out in the country where every truck has straight pipes or glasspacks, or Flowmaster duals if they're real uppity.

I will say this; removing the factory muffler dropped my EGTs about 150-200* and gave me about another 2psi of boost. Also, consider how many log trucks run straight pipes for several hundred thousand miles in rough conditions without any problems (other than a noise ticket if they turn on their Jake Brake in town.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online