Stoopid owner

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings.
Well I took the '87 F-250 6.9 noisey thing to town to get a new windshield installed and now that it has rained again, I still have a top windshield leak about 15 inches from the corner front post.
That will go back to town next week sometime for a leak recheck.
I noticed I can start it cold, lightly hit the accelerator and the idle sped will increase about 200 RPM until warm. Once warm, and the idle speed drops, but the noise level is still obnoxious.
All three temp sensors have been replaced.
While driving into town around 30/35 MPH that silly engine quieted down and smoothed out. A few seconds later, back to being a noisey pos. Then it smoothed out again and a few seconds later, back to noise.
I figure the engine is running about 240K miles.
The wife is a bit on the nasty side of money spent on this toy with minimal usage so far. I don't see much problem with it to get a god running toy.
if i could add an exhaust brake to it, that could be fun. Just another project for another day.
So? What is the source of that spazo sound?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well all the spark plugs that are missing may have something to do with it....
Read some stickies.
To much advance and it will clatter louder.
Try this
Cold eng.
Turn on key (no start yet)
Step on fuel pedal (note we are not talking gas pedal?!)
Hear a light clunk on top of eng?
Yes?!
Good that's the cold start high idle function(yep its in the tech section thread mel did for new owners)
Another way is to not touch the pedal, fire it up, let it idle till it purges the air out and smoothes out ,and then step on the pedal...
Did it idle up???
Yes?
This is the cold start system it advances the timing and makes it clatter more.

No?
Find the solenoid on the ip bellcrank\throttle linkage, read up and fix it.

Read up and see if the cold advance in the ip (not on the linkage)is staying on!

Oh and proofreading is your friend.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies!
Well, I believe your on the right track and thinking about this with my feeble mind, the cold advance solenoid will be the next step.
Fuel mileage on this toy has been all over the board and when combined with a tank transfer switch that can intermittently draw down both tanks at the same time can be fun. Real fun
Cruising down the road with some distance between towns. Flip the switch and the other tank is also empty.
Get into town on near fumes and find out you got a whopping 8/9 MPG. On two tanks.
Next time, no problem. Grr!

Cold idle speed does go up and then comes down in a few minutes but the clatter only stops briefly and randomly.
A solenoid is a great failure mechanism and I can justify that to the wife on several layers.

Proof reading only works if your smart enough to recognze your mistakes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the mileage is correct and its STILL on the same injection pump.. That pump is well worn out. The advance is probably slipping too. So its loud and then not so loud.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Should be twice that MPG
My 7.3 gets around 17 on no sulfur crap, used to get 21 on real fuel

I get 14-15 hwy with a somewhat tall camper on my 6.9 oil burner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online