Stolen IDI

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad news - some low life types swiped my truck last month while I was out at sea. Not good, but hopefully it shows up. I'd appreciate it if you guys could keep your eyes open for the truck or any parts that might show up. I'm going to be completely out of contact for the next 2 months or so and so I'm limited in what I can do to try to track it down or respond. The truck has been reported stolen, and law enforcement is in the loop but I don't expect much from them - I want to put the word out here since this group will recognize parts if they show up online. My fiance will have my login and will be checking this while I'm gone and will be able to relay info to the sheriff if anything is found.

The truck was stolen sometime between 22Dec and 11Jan, most likely somewhere around 8-10Jan from my house in Seabeck WA (central kitsap). I had parked it in the garage of the house I'm buying along with some stuff I had since it seemed like a safe and out of the weather storage location. No info on who or why it was taken, we suspect tweakers. Also suspect it's probably still somewhere locally and will either be found or sold/parted out eventually.

Truck is an 85 F250 4x4 regular cab 6.9, vin 1FTHF2613FPA54387. As of the theft is had blue & yellow CA plates, lic 2K30887 with Dec 2016 tags, however I had just registered the truck in WA and the WA plates were in the cab so it's possible they put those plates on. I do not have the WA plate number.

The 3 pictures below are the most recent with the new rims. The truck had the shell is picture #1 on it when stolen.

Thanks,
~John

Various details:
tan with tan interior with bench seat I think with a loose fitting black seat cover. Front and rear ends of the sides are lighter tan.
new aluminum rigs and nearly new 295/75r16 BFG mud terrains.
turbo 6.9 with a custom up/downpipe setup
HX35 turbo
welded aluminum intercooler piping
water to air intercooler located outboard of the stock vacuum pump location
hydroboost brakes
custom gauges using isspro classic/ev series round gauges.
Turbo boost gauge sitting between a pillar and dash (not bolted down, just stuck in the crevice there)
Either speedometer or tach is not fastened down, simply sitting in the hole in the dash
87+ style steering wheel
single row of toggle switches on the center bezel
Black plastic box, ~4"x6"x2" attached to the dash front between instrument cluster and center console with 6 push button switches and the exhaust brake and US Gear Dual Range control push buttons on the front.
ZF S5-47 trans
Exhaust pipe from the downpipe aft is 3.5" run inside the frame (ie, it does not hang below the frame)
Exhaust brake mounted in the pipe just aft of the t-case location
Exhaust pipe dumps just aft of the passenger rear tire and in somewhat crushed and bent up. No tip or flare. The aft mount behind the axle is held on with a hose clamp around the exhaust.
US Gear Dual range (doug nash) underdrive fitted on a custom welded aluminum adapter behind the transfer case.
BW 1356 manual shift t-case
10.25 rear
D44HD front
3.55 gears
BW turn over ball type gooseneck hitch
Curt 15300 heavy duty bumper pull hitch
Warn chromed aluminum front winch bumper
Front bumper is cracked at the driver's side of center section, bottom and bent up and out.
Mile marker 12k hydraulic winch
7.3 style glow plug, controler mounted on engine oil dispstick bracket above valve cover.
Custom engine compartment wiring with fuse and relay box built using 8x8x4" grey metal electrical junction box located on the driver's fender liner
Numerous plugged ports welded into sides of oil pan at bottom.
Intake modified with welded on inlet piping.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's never good to get news like this. will keep on the lookout down here just in case if the parts make it this far.
oh yea, before the lynch mob gets worked up, both of our trucks had beat up "enforcer" bumpers at the same time

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats really sad news. Will keep a heads up looking for parts or the rig. Nobody will be able to pass off those parts without most here knowing who it was from.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man John, I'm sorry to hear that buddy. Nothing worse than a man who is too lazy or worthless to earn for themselves, but rather steals from a man who works hard for what he has. I'm telling you, nothing worse.

Hope they get caught and are repeatedly sodomized in prison! Most importantly, I hope your rig is recovered undamaged.

Heath

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm confident that when and if it shows up somewhere it'll get noticed. Question is when/where and in what condition. Good news is even if it's wrecked there's still lots of useful stuff I can get off it.

The truck being stolen I can deal with, it's mainly all the little things that **** me off about it - I can get another idi and have the money to throw at it if I decide to. It's the hard to find things like the underdrive and fan clutch that irk me, especially since I just bought another electric fan clutch off ebay for spare parts and I suspect it's going to get chucked in a scrap bin somewhere cause they woln't have a clue what it is.

They also went through some other stuff I had and it sounds like took at least some of it - nothing really that valuable, but things like old books and tractor manuals that are hard to replace. Also a good chance they wound up with the paperwork for my box truck which is a huge pain in my rear.

Flip side is it's just stuff. When I first got the news from our XO I thought one of the horses had died or someone was in the hospital or such. Stuff can be replaced. Also been lucky so far, never had anything major stolen in ~20 years of junk collecting so I guess my number was up. In retrospect I wish I'd have done more to immobilize the truck, but there's also nothing the says they wouldn't have fixed it just just towed it out...

I was also thinking of getting a dually to supplement it anyway, so just another excuse to get a new truck. $64 question is what to replace it with - get another idi? Get something more modern? Decisions.... Hate to defect from the idi world, but I've certainly had the thought that more power would be nice and the setup I had is about all I feel like you can reliably get from the idi. Also something to be said for airbags and antilock brakes - always worried about getting in a wreck with the idi and getting hurt because it's 35 year old safety tech. On the other hand I don't much like anything newer or electronic. Friend of mine has a 4x4 89 F450 I've been trying to get hands on for a while, maybe I'll work that route... then put a 8.3 cummins or similar in it. I've got a L8000 with a p-pump 7.8 ford in it, maybe throw that in.... Good excuse for a new project.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(saw this on FTE first - this is a copy of that post which had fewer pictures)
I'm kind of surprised someone would steal one of these. They aren't exactly worth a lot of money, or valuable to someone who isn't an IDI-head, so it's not like it would go to a chop-shop for parts...

Sure, it has a turbo and intercooler(it looks like), but how many know what that is?

Plus, I'm guessing it has a manual(I *think* I see a clutch master cylinder)... how many young thieves actually know how to drive one?

I'd suspect someone who already knows about the truck, unless someone happened to have an extra registration for one of those trucks handy and just decided to steal one and 'vin-swap' it...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my though too, but apparently these older trucks are popular with the tweakers in the area to use to get to their illegal grow patches. With the price of diesel pickups these days I'd say it's worth $2500-3500 for the average truck guy, maybe closer to 5k for someone who knows idis.

Suspicion is that it was a local tweaker that just happened by it. It's enough of a coincidence that they grabbed it, much more of one that it was someone who actually know these rigs.

No one there knew anything about the truck and it was completely out of sight. This is a house I just bought, so not even the neighbors knew anything other than that I had a truck and drove up a couple times. The house is off a private drive off another road in a very quite area - no traffic either vehicle or foot in the area and no way to see the house except from the driveway aside from serious bushwacking through dense forest. Also there was no evidence from the outside the truck was parked there. The house sat empty for some 9 months before I bought it, and they had no issues during that time. Very suspicious that it would get swiped, but everything points that way.

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear some jackwad swiped your rig ..

i'm sure (probably) like you said it'll show up here or there .. online if it's sold or parted out ..

there's only a few places and nowhere to hide for info on resources for these truck s ..

it it's not found by the time you get back and you wish to pursue who is the likely bandit ..

by your description of the surroundings .. not visible from the road and private ..

it is likely either somebody familiar with the neighborhood or the prior resident ..

because who else would be snooping so close to a shut up garage unless they were familiar and comfortably knew the goings on of the setting area .. i would google maps and see who's around in the bushwacking directions .. and take a few 5am daybreak hikes to have a good look at who would be romping the area like that ..

probably some trouble maker guy lives nearby who's been a longtime resident of the area .. with access to your area of the woods or familiar with it to have been looking back there in the first place .. probably .. at least you should be able to come up with some likely suspects .. it just seems far out of likelyhood that someone would just happen to come by randomly if it's not on a main visible road .. someone knows the spot .. and it'd be good to bust their a$$ so they don't come back and do it again ..

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad news - some low life types swiped my truck last month while I was out at sea. Not good, but hopefully it shows up. I'd appreciate it if you guys could keep your eyes open for the truck or any parts that might show up. I'm going to be completely out of contact for the next 2 months or so and so I'm limited in what I can do to try to track it down or respond. The truck has been reported stolen, and law enforcement is in the loop but I don't expect much from them - I want to put the word out here since this group will recognize parts if they show up online. My fiance will have my login and will be checking this while I'm gone and will be able to relay info to the sheriff if anything is found.

The truck was stolen sometime between 22Dec and 11Jan, most likely somewhere around 8-10Jan from my house in Seabeck WA (central kitsap). I had parked it in the garage of the house I'm buying along with some stuff I had since it seemed like a safe and out of the weather storage location. No info on who or why it was taken, we suspect tweakers. Also suspect it's probably still somewhere locally and will either be found or sold/parted out eventually.

Truck is an 85 F250 4x4 regular cab 6.9, vin 1FTHF2613FPA54387. As of the theft is had blue & yellow CA plates, lic 2K30887 with Dec 2016 tags, however I had just registered the truck in WA and the WA plates were in the cab so it's possible they put those plates on. I do not have the WA plate number.

The 3 pictures below are the most recent with the new rims. The truck had the shell is picture #1 on it when stolen.

Thanks,
~John

Various details:
tan with tan interior with bench seat I think with a loose fitting black seat cover. Front and rear ends of the sides are lighter tan.
new aluminum rigs and nearly new 295/75r16 BFG mud terrains.
turbo 6.9 with a custom up/downpipe setup
HX35 turbo
welded aluminum intercooler piping
water to air intercooler located outboard of the stock vacuum pump location
hydroboost brakes
custom gauges using isspro classic/ev series round gauges.
Turbo boost gauge sitting between a pillar and dash (not bolted down, just stuck in the crevice there)
Either speedometer or tach is not fastened down, simply sitting in the hole in the dash
87+ style steering wheel
single row of toggle switches on the center bezel
Black plastic box, ~4"x6"x2" attached to the dash front between instrument cluster and center console with 6 push button switches and the exhaust brake and US Gear Dual Range control push buttons on the front.
ZF S5-47 trans
Exhaust pipe from the downpipe aft is 3.5" run inside the frame (ie, it does not hang below the frame)
Exhaust brake mounted in the pipe just aft of the t-case location
Exhaust pipe dumps just aft of the passenger rear tire and in somewhat crushed and bent up. No tip or flare. The aft mount behind the axle is held on with a hose clamp around the exhaust.
US Gear Dual range (doug nash) underdrive fitted on a custom welded aluminum adapter behind the transfer case.
BW 1356 manual shift t-case
10.25 rear
D44HD front
3.55 gears
BW turn over ball type gooseneck hitch
Curt 15300 heavy duty bumper pull hitch
Warn chromed aluminum front winch bumper
Front bumper is cracked at the driver's side of center section, bottom and bent up and out.
Mile marker 12k hydraulic winch
7.3 style glow plug, controler mounted on engine oil dispstick bracket above valve cover.
Custom engine compartment wiring with fuse and relay box built using 8x8x4" grey metal electrical junction box located on the driver's fender liner
Numerous plugged ports welded into sides of oil pan at bottom.
Intake modified with welded on inlet piping.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members