stinkin' vac pump........

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
.....-cuss 3rd one in as many years :mad: cookoo
Got a little over a year on this one...about 65k mi.

Wearing out my pedal box bushings too! I can feel the pedals shift when I muscle the brake pedal......funny thing is it hits and misses......not a good game to play in traffic :eek:

I pulled the vac line to the booster with the eng running and placed my finger over the check valve.....can feel some pulse then great suction....then nothing.....then some ....and so on.....besides the fact the pump is making those funny noises :puke: :puke: -------cuss

Shoulda jumped on that hydroboost system the guy at the boneyard was gonna sell for $200.....dam rebuilt pump is $140 ;Really :puke: -cuss

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Those things just plain suck (or don't in you're case!) Stay away from the remans. I never had any luck with them. New is more but you get a few (quite a few) more miles out of them. Everything else is OK at least;Sweet
Ken

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Geo
do you have a vacuum resevoir container on the truck? If not put one on and it will help with your problem.

sassyrel

Reaction score
then again--guys sells brand new ones on ebay for not much--but all of yous--take your vac pump off--theres a screw on the back side----small hex head--take it out--and put in equal amounts of 90w and gun grease--snapper mowers has this stuff--they call it 00 grease--theres never enough lube in there--and this is what lubricates the bearings on both ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and they either start squealing--or lock up---the diaphrams do sometimes go---DONT--- fill it full!!!!!!!!!!!!!will blow the seals out------if can put small light to hole--1/2 full-----

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geo-
i've seen brake boosters kill vac pumps at a frequency you're talking about.
do the engine off, three pedal pump test. betcha there's a leak in the booster.
otoh....hydroboost is da bomb;Sweet:D
loaned my '92 to BrianS a month ago and ruined him:D The truck ran like a scalded ape and stopped on a dime.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweetthose are his words...not mime.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...tell me a little more about this hydro boost....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...tell me a little more about this hydro boost....
drop on in downstairs in the IDI articles. "Full Monte" wrote a very detailed article on a hydro install in his truck. I had it on my F450's and put it in on my F350. It's a really good feeling when you have 8000lbs that stops on a dime:D