still running hot

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Today I replaced the stat (and added a coolant filter--thanks Warden for write-up and part #'s). On the first part of our trip tonight, it ran 210-225 all the way across town. I restarted it and headed out on the highway where it stayed at 195 all the way to Columbia City-30 miles or so. After dinner we drove to my folks and it hit 210 again. On the way home it went from 210-225 again. It has not topped 225 ever.

I know the fan clutch does not work, so I'll remedy that.

I got to thinking--When I bought the truck, it had oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. Everything's new now, but I never took the time to have the radiator cleaned. Is it possible that the radiator is gunked enough to impede coolant flow through it? The coolant isn't dirty and there's now no trace of oil floating in it.

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Is it possible that the radiator is gunked enough to impede coolant flow through it? The coolant isn't dirty and there's now no trace of oil floating in it.

yes, in my experience the truck blew out two heater cores. then a radiator hose. before i looked inside the radiator. it was obvious once i looked.

as for the oil in the coolant. that most likely is the oil cooler o-rings. but new fluids wouldn't have fixed the o-rings. i'd keep a real close eye on that. i also don't think that would cause overheating.

M

maxdiesel

My 87 was doing the same thing. I noticed a lot of fins on the bottom of the rad were rotted (no leaking) and the core was still not really clean even after flushing. I put in a new rad and all the problems went away.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
flatlander said:
I know the fan clutch does not work, so I'll remedy that.

Ask Travis (argve 'the lord of the overheating') for the link to this site with the modified fan clutch. They also sale it with a 180 t-stat that I recommend you install. Also if you replace the rad a stock 4 row should do but if you want to go crazy get the rad He got and is almost guaranteed you'll never have overheating problems with that setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12