Sterling info

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Im going to be calling up a local junk yard to look for an axel that has a disk brake setup for the rear. Did sterlings only come on certain year trucks, or was it only on the 2WD.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Called him up and he has a complete axel with disk brakes out of a '90 with 410's. He wants $850 for it. Im going to call him back and see if i can just get the brake stuff off it with out the axel.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early superduty used a dana 80 with 10 lug wheel bolt pattern. A later superduty with disc brakes would use the metric 8 lug pattern. Neither setup would be easily compatible with your 1989 truck. The early setup does not contain provisions for an e-brake. That is mounted to the rear of the transmission to hold the output shaft.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I see, but with my truck being 2WD and not needing to match gears and such, it should bolt in right? Perhaps a different rear most U joint if that doesnt fit?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little rough measuring of my 90 superduty and my 87 dually. There appears to be some differences. First is the frame being totally different and the spring perches are very different. Imho this would not be a simple bolt on project. measuring the width of the pads that are welded to the diff, that the springs rest upon would be the first thing I'd do. If I were you I'd find a wrecked or non running superduty parts truck which could be had at auction or off craigslist for the same or less than the boneyard wants for the diff. That way you'd have what you need for the conversion including proportioning valve.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
e -vans with rear disk are the same bolt pattern, and width, but the perches are wrong.

pretty damn easy to cut off old perches and weld new ones on...plus if you're doing it on a 4x4 you can fix any pinion angle issues at the same time.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and the width is wrong also------but at least you could get all the disc brake stuff off that axle--and adapt ir to yours--someone on one forum did it that way-------