steel pistons

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Anyone read in the diesel power about the steel pistons for duramax from mahle? How sweet would it be to have them for our trucks?!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! The weight/mass of those suckers would require some serious changes other places for sure. Likely pins and rods..... certainly a change in the balance and counter weights on the crankshaft.

Heath

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! The weight/mass of those suckers would require some serious changes other places for sure. Likely pins and rods..... certainly a change in the balance and counter weights on the crankshaft.Heath

For sure. The crankshaft counterbalances are calculated on the weight of the rods and pistons. Same would go for a change from an NA engine to a turbo if the rods and pistons were changed to turbo rods. The crank would have to be rebalanced, (weight added). The turbo engines from 94 up do not have the throw drilled, the counterbalance is the only place drilled for balance. IIRC.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
from what iv been reading is there goal is to be the same weight as the stock aluminum LBZ pistons. They seem like a great idea because like would be very hard to crack or errode. More efficiant too because the expansion rate would be small so tollerances can be closer. I mean they do use steel pistons in HD engines. I would assume even if they are slightly heavier that a good balance should work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They using a two peice design? Steel crown with alumimum skirt? Hard to see how they could be all steel, same dementions, and same weight.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Would be nice as EGT's wouldnt be much of a concern...

Dont some Cat 3406's have steel pistons (or at least crown)?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they are hollowing out the skirt some to lighten them up.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be nice as EGT's wouldnt be much of a concern...

Dont some Cat 3406's have steel pistons (or at least crown)?

crown yes...two piece pistons. if i remember right it started with the acert series, maybe e series but i dont think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online