Starting a diesel by hand?

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last ship I was on hand an old, and I mean old, back up air compressor that use to be powered by a Lister diesel they don't use the engine anymore but it still lives under the decking in the engine room. So one day on board while we were waiting for parts we cranked it up here a short vid of one of the engineres starting it up by hand every time i watch it I have to laugh :rotflmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGEk14to0Hc

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool!! :thumbsup: First time I've ever seen one of those running. My first Scout boat had a single-cylinder Lister as a backup generator, but it had frozen up and someone tore it down to the shortblock to get things freed up...and the guy got bored and left the program without putting it back together (although he DID get the crank unfrozen ;Sweet), and no one else was able to figure out how everything went back together cookoo

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
pretty cool! and to think my psd has a hard time doing it with bad glow plugs and a gear reduction starterLOL

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7hp 1 cyl Hatz diesel in my garage that is pull start. It will rip the cord right out of your hand if'n you aren't careful. And believe me, it smarts:eek:
Travis..

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive worked on a couple of those smaller engines kinda funny little things air cooled and all those are almost a twin to some of the smaller Deutz :thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Reminds me of how I used to have to start my old A model John Deere. That was a good old tractor, but i sure don't miss the thing. Time it wrong and it'd throw you on your head. I like my * new* IH 284 diesel with an electric starter MUCH better :hail

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an air cooled single cylinder Chinese made diesel trash water pump we used for pumping waste cooking oil at school. Man that thing would darn near rip your arm out of socket if you forgot to latch the decompression port.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The original Rammax trench compactors were often powered by hand-cranked diesels. The crews hated them. Open the compression release, and get that flywheel spinning as fast as you could, and close the compression bypass, and watch it cough and die, repeat. Winter was the worst.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hey,Mr Bill....you know tractors are like tomatoes,they ain't good unless they are red!

mmmm,Wonder if they would sell that old engine.....I could use that!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to work on a single cylinder Yamar diesel and it was a pain to start by hand. It ripped the cord out of my hand several times starting it after I replaced the little injection pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online