squealing

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have a metal sounding squealing sound when i drive my truck. its the loudest in low gears when i go from a stop. i jacked the rear tires up so see if i could see where its coming from under acceleration. but it didnt make the sound. it seems to only do it under load, because when im up to speed the squealing stops

any idea? its really loud

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check your belts? I chased a belt noise on my car to the point I changed a PS pump thinking it was causing it. Turned out is wasn't even that belt. It was the other one. -cuss

Might make a difference under load or not. :dunno

First thing I would do is figure out if it is periodic, what frequency is it? Engine speed, driveline speed, wheel speed... that would give you a place to start looking.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal sounding... that makes me think wheel bearing maybe? (I'm assuming it's the 2x4 truck mentioned in your sig)

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bearings make noise under weight not in the air usually .matco makes a sonar detector to pin point sound.but id say wheel bearings or internal check your rears

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: it ended up being the u joints. all fixed now.
the shop also discovered i need king bolts replaced. so that should be fun to get done. I wont be attempting that myself