Spray foam fuel sealant?

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a guy tell me he had a leaky diesel fuel switchover valve and just coated it with expanding polyurethane foam. I can see the material being diesel-proof, but if it didn't work, what a mess to fix!

sassyrel

Reaction score
i have a hard time believeing,,spray foam isnt bothered by diesel......

Last edited:

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you give his face a high-five?

No, but he almost got a face full of chewed hamburger. I love it when amateurs tell me their "mechanic's tips".
I did bust off a piece from the wall at work and dropped it in a small can of diesel, it will be interesting to look at it in a few weeks. Sometimes even idiots drop pearls of wisdom.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Even if the diesel doesn't eat through it, I bet the surface has to be diesel free for the stuff to stick. Might be a chore to do while laying under the truck.
But if it sticks and seals easily and holds up it might be a trick to get you home from bfe.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
did he tell you to change your blinker fluid while you are at it? bad idea that stuff is very poarus, its possible he got lucky but that is a last ditch effort to get home with your family stuck in the truck type fix. i would be puling it out the first chance i had to fix it right.

if my FSV goes out i am replacing it with two manual valves where i can reach down beside the seat to switch. midnightrider has talked about it here numerous times if you want to look it up.

sassyrel

Reaction score
No, but he almost got a face full of chewed hamburger. I love it when amateurs tell me their "mechanic's tips".
I did bust off a piece from the wall at work and dropped it in a small can of diesel, it will be interesting to look at it in a few weeks. Sometimes even idiots drop pearls of wisdom.

do tell us what happens...interesting.........

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
when my FSV went south i bought a new one from the dealer...and even with my moms fiance getting it at cost for me it was still $125-$140...been awhile i cant remember the exact number...im debating putting it back on my truck or going to manual valves

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it Open Cell foam or Closed Cell foam? Agnem should put this in a sticky as a fix for Diesel leaks.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the foam is resistant to diesel fuel.... and gasoline, but not acetone.

We use foam to secure fuel tanks in the marine industry.... well, I should say "they" do. I've taken out lotsa tanks that are holed, with nothing but fuel saturated foam.

Like Fordsandguns said, for it to work, the surface must be fuel free and lightly roughed up to make it stick. Once it's dried on, it will provide a quasi-fix. Even closed cell foam will pass fluid through it, not all the cells are as closed as we'd like.

Temporary fix? Maybe, permanent, I'd never do it.

When we replace fuel tanks, we never foam them back in. The reason is, water still ends up between the foam and the tank, which creates a battery, and another un-holy experience... even when epoxy coated. Movement will wear thru the epoxy and re-expose the metals.

We shim the tanks and strap them in. Limits permanent water contact and allows for drying when they get wet....easier to trace leaks in tanks too.