Spare Tire Buddy Review

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put oversized tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT284/75R16 (~33")) on my 89 F350 crew cab, and have been looking for a good way to carry my spare tire. I recently came across the "Spare Tire Buddy" from Titan Fuel Tanks.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/titan-spare-tire-buddy/

I liked the orientation, but was dubious about the price and the stability. There are some reviews on Amazon, but overall not a lot on the web about this setup. I don't have the time or tools right now to fab anything up so I decided to try it. I got it installed today and wanted to share my thoughts and some pics. The overall quality seemed fine, although a more appropriate cost would have been closer to $30 and not $80. I tried to follow the directions to tighten the nut until the bottom plate kicks up an 1" - 1.25"; however, what I found was that instead of the bottom plate kicking up, it was just jacking up my bed rail. When I noticed this I backed it off a little bit and called it good. I was concerned that the bolt wouldn't be long enough, but there was atleast 2" left over. There is a hole in the bolt to put a padlock.

You must be registered for see images attach

I drove it around all day today and it is still tight. I haven't taken it offroad or anything. It seems like it will work for now. Once I get a welder I think I will fab up something similar that bolts to the top rail and bed floor. The eye bolt is 1/2"-20 thread, whereas my lug nuts are 9/16"-18. It would be nice to have a setup I could secure with the same locking lug nuts I have on my other wheels and the same lug wrench. You will need to carry a 13/16" deep socket with you to get this off. A lug wrench won't work due to the excess thread sticking out.

Anyways I hope this helps if anyone is looking at this setup.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, for $80, they should have a LOT more pics on the web site of just what it consists of, and how it mounts. Your pic provides more info than the one on their site. Still it'd be good to see how it's set up with the tire out of the way.