Soup Bowl Mod...

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Can any one point me to a thread with Pics / Info on the soup bowl mod for the factory air-cleaner lid? I have run a search and am overwelmed with peopel talking about doing it and how it helps with HP and fuel economy... Can't find a how to or before and after pics...

Does it even apply for my truck... '93 F-250 7.3 N/A

Last edited:

zpd307

Reaction score
i took a sawzall and cut as close to the lid as i could. then for good measure, i used a grinder and took it down some more. i also drilled some holes in the flap part of the filterhousing base, the part that deflects the incoming air. i didnt notice a whole lot of gain. the trucked smoked less on wot. anything you can do to let more air in the better.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, I just found a lid from a 6.9 engine that didn't have the soup bowl - these trucks have the airflow restricted at the bottom of the air box instead, so lid is nice and flat. Best combination is one of those 6.9 lids, and a 7.3 air box, you get large bottom opening and no soup bowl.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9L had the soup bowl also... I know because i cut mine off.

Some 6.9s have it, some don't - the ones that don't have the soup bowl have instead a very restrictive opening at the bottom of the air box, it's only like 3" in diameter or so. IIRC vans have that setup too, tho I did get my bowl-less 6.9 lid off a truck in the junkyard and not a van.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, well the only thing i noticed after pulling it off was more noise in the cabin. And if you dont put the hose on it gets even worse. These trucks make a lot of intake noise. At 55mph you can barely have a conversation in the truck with the person next to you.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks make a lot of intake noise. At 55mph you can barely have a conversation in the truck with the person next to you.

Isn't that the point of owning one of these trucks! ;Sweet Oh and being able to laugh my ass off when the neighbor gets his brand new rig repo'd and asks me for a ride to work in my POS:rotflmao

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The lid I'm using was off of a van with a 7.3 and it had the restrictor plate but no soup bowl.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The restrictor plate is easy to get rid of as well. It's just spot welded in 4 places IIRC. Took all of 10 minutes to get mine out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online