Sonnex

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys running one of these? If so what are your impressions? Was it worth it or not? How about the Banks TransCommand, any input on that product as well, I'm searching for ways to beef up the tranny without breaking the bank in the process.

TIA....

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Mike, I found an archive in TDS which will answer your question, but when I pasted the URL it didn't work so I pasted the text for you. When I had my tranny rebuild 75K ago I upgraded to the TransGo shift kit and pump mod.

Archives >> 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain (11/01-7/03)

Pages: 1
DADeCamp

Member # 26688

Reged: 11/20/02
Loc: Casa Grande, AZ, USA
Full shift kit or sonnex valve & springs
#1284348 - 07/03/03 11:16 PM

Which would be better, a full up shift kit like THIS or would a simple sonnex valve and spring be plenty good?

Rich D

Member # 94

Reged: 04/01/99
Loc: Gilbert, AZ.
Re: Full shift kit or sonnex valve & springs
#1284484 - 07/04/03 12:49 AM

That's a NO BRAINER. The full shift kit. A valve and tricumulator springs just give you a quick cheap and sometimes a to firm of a shift. The shift kit is a specificlly designed trans upgrade. RICH

jswillms

Member # 2263

Reged: 07/28/99
Loc: Peoples Republic of Austin, Tx
#1284646 - 07/04/03 08:57 AM

Full shift kit is better, for sure. The deal with the sonnax/tri-spring kit is that all you have to do is drop the pan and install a few parts in the valve body. With most (all?) full kits, you have to drop the tranny to install.

JimmyDee

Member # 14718

Reged: 06/29/01

#1284650 - 07/04/03 09:02 AM

Try the sonnax/tri-spring kit first. It is a $50 upgrade and I'm very happy with it. If you want to go further, then the other can be done after. I think you will be happy with the S/T mod.
Jim

POWERSTROKE RACER
Sponsor

Member # 14396

Reged: 06/16/01
Loc: Houston TX
#1284745 - 07/04/03 11:04 AM

DADeCamp
The kit offered by Summit is for an 89up e40d/4r100.You will not use all the parts in a 4r100.The sonnax/tricumalator will do just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess that half answers my question, it'll work sort of but for the real schiznits I should go for a full on shift kit. I think if a guys gonna drop the tranny out to put in a shift kit that a beefed up TC should go in at the same time as well.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
After going thru 5 E4OD's in 4 yrs/225kmi I swore off them and went back to bolt actions:D

From what I have read tho, Sonnax and Tri-*** spgs along with a good cleaning of the sol packs is a worthwile improvment.
Short of going with a BTS:D

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score

I purchased the whole transgo kit but only did the springs & valve's & shift plate.... I never pulled the tranny to do the pump... It seems like I read in the instructions or somewhere that unless your pump is surging then there is really no need to do the whole kit...

I have said many times that it was one of the best mod's I have ever done to my truck. I run 37" tires and I can still floor it and spin the tires and have it bark when it jumps into second gear...

When I was running my Superchip I used to say that if I had to give one up, I would be hard pressed to choose... Now with the 4 position chip from Diesel Innovations it becomes even tougher....

I hated the sluggishness of shifting between gears or when you floored it, how the motor sounded like it wanted to go but the truck just sort of crawled ahead...

It really is pretty easy to do, once you get over the worry that your messing with your tranny... :D ... I had a couple of hecklers watching me and kept reminding me that if I did it wrong or messed up that a new tranny was a bunch of money.... The best part was when I was done and I got to take them for a ride in it.... They could not believe the difference either...

I hear people talk about the sonnax valve and spring kit and I know it doesn't come with the shift plate.... I think the shift plate it a huge part of why it feels so different. If you had planned on pulling your tranny then I would spend the extra $50 to get the Trango kit and do it all...

Dave

DezlWezl

F'in broke
Reaction score
King(Soon to be god) Willie Herenton's Kingdom of
dieselwiezil said:
mine has held up nicely, put them in, its only 50 bucks or so!
Apparently my sonnax/tricumulator mod was a little too late. Chip raises my pressures as well. Tranny already had 100k on it. It is now toast at 112k. I can't afford the BTS, so it is just being rebuilt. How much is the Trans-go kit? My sonnax/tricumulator kit will be reused. Can you use the two together? I want this one to last.

Bean

Reaction score
Mike, with the Stage I's anything less then a converter and a full on Trans go just wont do.

If you wanna just try a valve body I can do that for ya too, fully modded and reay to go.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan,

Ive got a full on Trans-go Tugger Kit with pump mod and a beefed up TC from Richter, I did the valve body/ accumulator mods already and will do the TC/pump mod very soon, with about 2000 miles on the Stage I's so far the tranny is holding its own, but in the next two weeks the TC and pump mod is going to happen...........

Mike

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well isnt that wonderful, somone has close to the same name as I! Man this will be confusing! on other note, mine had 120k on it, now 150k almost!