Something different

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
hey so I’m new to this forum thing. but I genuinely cannot find information about my truck... well at least the information I want lol.. I have a 1989 f-superduty (not a f350 not a f450) f-superduty 7.3 idi zf5 10lug 5:13 dana80 2wd ... now I know this is a work truck I know no one just willy nilly drives a 60mph truck. but I have one I recently crashed and I was donated a 89 f250 gas job 4wd... I want to slam the superduty. I don’t wanna go bags, I want to keep the leaf springs but I don’t know how to go about it. I’ve lifted trucks and lowered cars but never lowered a truck.... I know I can do an axle flip but everyone I find for a 4inch Dana80 is to lift the truck not lower it. I want to remove as many leafs in the rear as I possibly can. In the rear it has almost 2 completely different leaf springs mated one on top of an other the upper one in which contacts metal stops on the frame.. I believe these would be “overload springs”? I want them gone.. I’d run one leaf if possibly.. i really wanna get as low as possible for little to no money at all. and for the front of my truck I have a solid Ibeam (truck is 2wd) with a 2 pack leaf spring. I don’t believe I can axle flip this due to how narrow the bottom of the axle is (I could be wrong).. i dont know it’s unrealistic to do what I want to this truck but I’m not dumping thousands into a 4link kit with bags. It’s a beater ratty truck that’s begging to be low and slow. I just don’t know how to go about it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the leafs and run coil overs in the rear, I have a set if you need them. The front will need a different axle if you want it really low.

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
getting did of the leafs and adding coil overs is just going to make the rear barely connected won’t it.. like I would have to add a 4link as well?

Cletusduhlitass

Reaction score
Can I run one leaf on all four corners and fabricate coil spring mounts leafs the leafs for stability of my axles and leave the coil springs for my suspension

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re gonna need to do some fab work if you want the truck to be usable and really low. Coilovers and a four link in the rear would make it as low as you want, handle great and be safe on the road. Measure the front and rear leafs, you may be able to run the front pack on the rear and the lower pack from the rear on the front. I’ve run coilovers on the stock shock mounts without issue, but you gotta link the rear.

Rugged Rig

Reaction score
put f-350 leaf springs in the front of your truck. its common for people to swap f-superduty front springs into their f-250/350 to gain 6-7 inches of lift. so if you did the opposite you would lower your front.
for the rear i would put your axle over the springs and put longer shackles to drop it more.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put the rear axle over the springs the axle hits the frame. That’s why you have to notch them to do an axle flip