somebody help me E40D won't shift when the fuse for my speedo and odometer is in

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connector is on the passenger side of the transmission behind a heat shield. The TCM, if I have the right part, is inside the transmission oil pan

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TCM is the Transmission Control Module. It is NOT inside of the trasmission. It's behind the drivers side kick panel. IIRC There is a relay under the hood, drivers side, just kind of hanging there. The TCM is also known as a EEC IV.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is interesting.iv not heard of these type of symptoms before.personally i would swap TECA (TCM) between trucks since iv got that option to quickly test the control unit.

hmmm.how puzzling.so before your last trans blew,it was all working correctly? the speedo fuse just recently blew and before this,you never had any issues with the speedo? you didn't frig up the MLPS connector or the solenoid connectors during the swap?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector is on the passenger side of the transmission behind a heat shield. The TCM, if I have the right part, is inside the transmission oil pan

You might be thinking of the TOT, "Transmission Oil Temperature", that sensor is part of the solenoid pack. As far as I know, that is not available, only as a whole rebuilt solenoid pack.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay, I was thinking of the solenoid pack. I couldn't recall correctly, so I guess I should've not commented lol
Now that you say that I remember.

wakeland01

Reaction score
UPDATE so I cleaned the ground off to the TCM after I did that I put the 15 amp fuse in the powers my speedo and odometer and now I have all gears I was just smashing at 80 with everything working BUT I still have horrible acceleration when I leave it in drive and come to a stop to take off but if I drop it in first I have great acceleration what's up with that thanks for the help guys I'm one step closer

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that electrical has no effect on acceleration, check your linkage to the tranny, make sure it's on the marks at the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) that's attached to the shift shaft, there is marks that show when it's in neutral, very important, so that the valve is shifted all the way. With the engine off, shift it into Drive, then crawl under and see if you can shift it further into the detent.

wakeland01

Reaction score
Ima through this out there can I put my number on here hahaha? Sum one can call me maybe hahaha

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see the large sensor located on the drivers side? it's mounted just behind the shift linkage on the side of the trans.inspect this connection and clean thoroughly.if this sensor or connection is poor,you can get incorrect gear starts (in the D position) because the D position has to tell the TECA you selected D for it to know to select 1st gear for you.a more common way it fails,is to tell the TECA it's in N and you'll lose all forward gear and that's really scary cus you'd swear your trans just blew lol.
the MLPS/range sensor/neutral safety switch.mutli sensor/all in one.

see,the D position is electronically controlled position.it's not like manually selecting 1/2.this is why you'd suspect the MLPS if it's starting in the wrong gear (once you verified the TECA is getting power/no dim od light.)

wakeland01

Reaction score
So do you think the neutral safety switch could be out and how do I see if its out of alignment

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Block the wheels so you don't get ran over.;p Put the truck in neutral. Looking at the range sensor, you will see an index line. It should line up with a mark on the sensor body. If not loosen the bolts and line it up.

If it is lined up, there is a chance that the sensor is bad. If its old chuck it and get a new one. Look at it first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online