So I finally checked the coolant on the 93!

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 268,000 mile project truck, just might be getting a Cummins for sure! I've been toying with what to do with this truck (almost sold it, then came to my senses!) I finally went out and dipped the radiator with a test strip. Ummm well, it's a 50/50 mix but that's about it! The other two pads of the strip did not change at all. Looks like no additives have been in her in a loooooong time, if ever.
So, with 268,000 on her, and no signs of a problem yet, I'm wondering if I should either swap in a Cummins one day, or rebuild this engine with sleeves when it's time. I'm not a huge fan of sleeves, so is there anyway to check for cavitation? I figure all it takes is one microscopic pin hole to cause a problem and wasn't sure if there were any dyes, testing procedures, etc. I figure it is almost impossible to tell if a pinhole is just .001" away from breaking through into the cylinder wall, but figured I would ask.
Jerry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry,
If your going to put in a Cummins, why wouldn't you just run it until it fails? Your going to need to be made of money anway for that project. LOL

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel,
Still not sure about the Cummins. Been thinking of building up an IDI, but I don't want to sink money into a bum block. I guess I should ask, if I keep the IDI in 'er, what should I do?
BTW, the Cummins swap isn't too bad if you get a good deal on the whole truck. My plan would be to use the NV4500 and X-case from the Dodge.
Jerry

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
well, if you have coolant in the crankcase or oil in the coolant, then its hapenning. if not and you want the truck, start adding the sca's. if you catch it in time, sca's will stop the cavitation from furthering but you have to keep up with it. the only way to stop cavitation is to have a new block, or sleeved old one, and have waterless coolant in her forever.

sassyrel

Reaction score
if a block is sleeved right--youll never have a problem with it--

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll sleeve it for peace of mind then. Though, I'm still considering the Cummins. I have a few years to decide. After spending $$$ on my 97 for paint and other doodads....I think my spending needs to come to an end for a little while!
Jerry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's face it.... having an IDI is the only thing that makes you different from everybody else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online