So here's the deal

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok im lookin to buy an 89 12V to drop in place of my stroker....I found one complete and running for around $750.00 but I gotta drive like 600 miles to get it....its supposedly only got like 90,000 orig miles on it.... what does everyone think about this kinda deal....I know peopletell me to hold off and buy a 94 on up for the "P" pump.... should I???....I know the "P" pump makes more power and buying a non intercooled engine is worse than an intercooled one but im just lookin for opinions....

rubberfish

Reaction score
The intercooler part doesn't matter unless you plan
on using the Dodge intercooler. The P pump is
the best for making horsepower cheaply though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $750:eek: I'd go for it and if I had my heart & mind set on a "P" pump I'd re sell it for at least twice what I paid for it so I had more play money.;Sweet

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very very true....can I fit a P pump onto a first gen...:Thumbs Up

rubberfish

Reaction score
can I fit a P pump onto a first gen

Yes,,,but it doesn't just go on and work.
There is a lot of work. Just buy a 2nd gen. 94-98
If you already had a 1st gen then you might
want to consider the swap. But since you're
starting from scratch, just get a p-pump motor
to begin with. Way easier. :)

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, but by the time (and $$$) you get the p-pump on there you shoulda just bought an engine with one already on it.
There's no reason you can't put an intercooler on an early 1st gen in your truck.
There's some power to be had out of the VE pumps for sure, but its not as free and easy as a p-pump. For $750 to start, you can afford to throw some good injectors, a fuel pin, and a turbo housing on there and start tweaking on that pump.
Those 1st gens with the VE do get great mileage.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool...very cool.....i think im just gonna let this one slide cause i dont settle for things....i really do want to put out some power so im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a second gen....if anyone know of one....PM me....

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Yeah, but by the time (and $$$) you get the p-pump on there you shoulda just bought an engine with one already on it.
There's no reason you can't put an intercooler on an early 1st gen in your truck.
There's some power to be had out of the VE pumps for sure, but its not as free and easy as a p-pump. For $750 to start, you can afford to throw some good injectors, a fuel pin, and a turbo housing on there and start tweaking on that pump.
Those 1st gens with the VE do get great mileage.

HEHEHE, there lots of power to be had out of a VE. It does have its limits as does everything with the Cheap and FREE mod list, Other then my Downpipe and stacks, Im runing around 250+ HP from the original 160HP motor.
A VE with the proper items on the cummins motor is more then capable of 600+ on the rollers!
Here is a little guide for you:
The 89-91.5 cummins 12 valves had 9MM injector holes in the head~BAD, they crack!
91.5-93 cummins 12 valves have 7MM injector holes.
There are 9MM-7MM adapters, BUT its still a 9MM head.
A P-pump will go on, BUT as said before, by the time you do the P-pump swap, with the money invested, you should have just bought a P-Pump motor. The only reason we do it is 1) we already have the motor 2) the VE has about met its limits 3) we LOVE our 1st gen trucks

Here, www.dieseltruckresource.com
good info source, and good classifieds section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online