Serpentine Belt Pulleys?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
In the search for more electricity, I have come to the conclusion that if I need the amps I want, I am going to need a serpentine belt. I prefer V belts but oh well.

Anybody have an extra engine with serpentine pulleys which would not be missed? I guess I need 6... alternator, vacuum pump, crank, water pump?, A/C, and power steering. Thanks all.

Let me know a price and how you want payment if you got a set.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - alternator pulley from the early-'80s Fox chassis cars (Mustang, Capri, Fairmont, small LTD) are supposed to have a double-V pulley that is significantly smaller than our factory IDI-sized one - that alone should speed the alternator up quite a bit. If you really want some good idle current after you convert to serpentine find an '80s Panther-chassis car (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or a Town Car) with a 2G alternator and take the alt pulley from that, it's very very small even compared to 3G serpentine pulley. By the way there are at least 5 different serpentine pulleys from alternators, at least that's how many I got stacked here - and I'm sure there are several sizes I'm still missing too.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I am not too picky with the alternator pulley as I may just grab one from a junkyard or use whatever comes with my alternator. I am mostly after the others which are not quite as universal in engines. Thanks for the leads on models to look for.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're going to find you will need a "kit" in order to make everything work.
pulleys are one thing, but you will need brackets, hardware, A/C pump and lines, vac pump assy and the P/S is going to come with the bracket due to the fact the pump cannot be removed from the bracket without removing the pulley first. I have a complete changover on a '92 f250 that i am willing to sell. price won't be low, since I need to justify removing a serpentine setup and putting a v-belt setup.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Hmm I am not sure what exactly I want to do then. My PS is leaking. I was gonna replace the pump anyways. Maybe I should just try to find a way to cobble some pulleys on the a/c and vacuum pump.

Let me know a dollar amount on what you have. If I do go that direction, I could get you my old V-belt stuff if you need it.

I think I am going to put this on hold though and try to see what I can do unconventionally. Anybody have some good clean pictures of a Serpentine system? Preferably with the engine pulled or the radiator out, so there is a nice head on view... but anything would help. Thanks