Running WMO now....

wmoguy

Reaction score
Picked up 28 gallons of waste trans fluid today.

Also, my truck is seeming hard to start the last 3 starts (instead of the normal 5-7 sec glow and starting withing 2 revs, it taking a 10-12 sec glow and 3-5 secs cranking). It's been 60-72° all 3 times. Does this mean i need to adjust my mixture? What do i add more of?

Yep

More diesel, less WMO

do you not have a 2 tank pickup? If so use one tank only w/ Diesel and start and stop on diesel (purge to diesel a few final miles or at least 5-6 mins) and run on your blend when the truck is warm. If one tank setup only I think your askng for trouble starting on anything more than 35-40% WMO imo

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I only have one tank....

I guess ill change my mixture to a 75/8/17 oil/rug/k-1 mix.

I have a sample of my current 81/7.5/11.5 in the freezer and it still looks pretty thin.

I'd like to avoid running to much "expensive fuel" this winter if I can... if i have to i'll run mostly diesel...

wmoguy

Reaction score
I only have one tank....

I guess ill change my mixture to a 75/8/17 oil/rug/k-1 mix.

I have a sample of my current 81/7.5/11.5 in the freezer and it still looks pretty thin.

I'd like to avoid running to much "expensive fuel" this winter if I can... if i have to i'll run mostly diesel...

I'd be willing to bet a large wager 75% WMO will not be a winner for you in a cold Northern Indiana winter UNLESS you heat your fuel tank. Mine in summer would start w/ 85-90% WMO cold if I wanted too (forgot to switch to diesel tank before shutting down) but you sure as heck knew something was different. No way i'd start it on that in a cold Colorado winter and not expect issues. Starting on heavy WMO blends in winter IMO is begging for trouble. Heat your only fuel tank or be prepared to run light blends of WMO this winter if you won't want to wear out your batteries and starter.

just my .02

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the road tax thing a guy out here got his tank dipped the other day an was running waste ATF mix the officer wasnt impressed with the red dye an from what he said the fine is a huge one something about having to pay tax on the MPG the truck gets based on some IRS federal tax equation with the amount of fuel he had the amount of time he had been running the mix an also pending the result of lab work to determine the red dye wasnt from off road diesel ( ATF an off road use the same kinda dye i have been told ) best case the officer said he was looking at a $4,000 fine because the guy said it was only his 3rd tank of this mix worse case is results of the lab test saying its off road then the fine gets really ridiculous ...NC is out for money any way they can get it right now heck theve been writing over weight tickets to anything towing a trailer in new hanover county an brunswick HP/DOT have really been at it ........this comes from the DOT officer that dipped both my tanks today on my way to SC on HWY 17 an i was just me my girl n an empty truck i handed him a receipt for the fuel since i just topped off the tanks ..bnut he felt i needed to know about their stopping anything diesel ......as for the WMO since it doesnt have any red dye in it i guess it wouldnt matter to them unless you just find that 1 guy having the worste of days an decides to get all high n mighty johnny law on ya .............jus thought id add this in .

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
For a tank heater could i use a tank type coolant heater and a copper loop in the fuel tank?

I was looking at pad type heaters, but the say they can over heat diesel fuel and are for oil pan use only.

I still have my old inline 12V fuel heater (the factory one) but i dont know if it works, and it's not going to overcome a full tank of cold oil...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post some pics of this, but I have a fuel tank behind the cab that has a piece of alum. tubing, running coolant through it. I have a fuel temp sensor after the stock filter head, the temp of the fuel even in the summer only gets to 120'.
Point being that in the winter I'm still gonna start on blended fuel, no wmo, and then maybe switch to a low blend of wmo, 10-15%.
(I hate working on cold stuff in the winter:mad:,gelled up filters,etc.)
Another board I heard guys running wvo and switching back and forth. The older I get, I get less & less courageous about that stuff in cold weater.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'm thinking if i have a 120V tank heater and adjust my mix a little i can run it most of the year.

I just need to find a 120V tank heater...or make one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online