Rough High Idle to engine not firing up

92LongBed

Reaction score
Good Morning Oilburners,

I've recently made a post about my truck not firing up that was solved by me replacing 4 out of 8 glow plugs (the easiest 4 to get to considering the fuel lines are covering the other 4). Anyway, yesterday I was driving it no problem and then I started to feel/hear a lot of RPM idle changes like it was running with a cold trying to clear its throat. This morning I wake up to drive it and it will not turn over. Just cranking and puffing a bit of white smoke.

My gut is telling me I need to replace ALL glow plugs but I wanted to post here to make sure this symptom couldn't be another issue that I am unaware of perhaps in the fuel system. The issue started as I got fairly low on fuel so I sped to the nearest gas station and filled up. Once I was leaving the gas station I didn't feel any issues. As always thanks for any insight. Ill stay active on this thread to answer any questions as well.

CharlesG

Reaction score
Your rough idle was most likely caused by the low fuel issue since it went away after filling up.
You will need to replace the rest of the glow plugs.

92LongBed

Reaction score
Your rough idle was most likely caused by the low fuel issue since it went away after filling up.
yeah that makes the most sense. appreciate the reply Charles

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Or maybe all 8. If you've been starting your truck on just 4 good glow plugs, you may have burned out some or all of the new ones that you just put in. Glow plugs are like your batteries in that they need to be replaced as a set if they are all bad.

92LongBed

Reaction score
Or maybe all 8. If you've been starting your truck on just 4 good glow plugs, you may have burned out some or all of the new ones that you just put in. Glow plugs are like your batteries in that they need to be replaced as a set if they are all bad.
Good to know! I replaced the last 4 and now it starts up immediately better than ever. So i think i got lucky that by replacing only 4 didn't hurt the new ones prior to having all 8 new glow plugs in at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online