Return Line Pressure

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Wmoguy and i were bickering back and forth :sly about installing in bed fuel tanks. My ? is saying the fuel system is rigged to the in bed fuel tank as the only tank. Will the return line system have enough pressure to make it up into the bed and into the tank? What kind of pressure is on the return side if any? Or is the entire return side gravity fed back? Thanks ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I know it works with a Cummins 12V, I did just what you are talking about when I installed a veggie fuel kit. The fuel returning from a VE pumped 12V is just a trickle, no real pressure behind it....I can't see what the IDI would be any difference, the fuel has to go somewhere as there is constant pressure from the IP. He put a 135 gallon Mack tank crossways in the bed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably around 33.7 lbs on the return line system....:rolleyes::angel:
I really don't know of anyone that has found out what the return line pressure is. I know it will be enough to push fuel into a bed tank easily. Several members have these in bed tanks. Several aftermarket tank builders make a tank for the beds too and they do not tell you to increase the return line pressure. I really wouldn't even attempt a guess on the pressure. It can't be higher than what the injection pump gets from the filter so at the most it will be whatever the electic or mechanical pump is putting out....:dunno

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Well thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking at getting theRDS 50gal in bed tank with built in toolbox. With the aluminum diamond plate tanks do they put some kind of liner inside of them or is it just the alum welded together?

wmoguy

Reaction score
thx for posing the question from our text back and forth yesterday. ;Sweet

I am thinking I may just do the same thing w/ my 115 gallon in bed tank and also ditch the stock tanks, since my back one is apparently ***** anyway.

To clarify, if I ran a return line back from the engine and fed it to the top of my in bed tank, it should push fuel back into the tank? Keep in mind the top of my tank is about 10" above the bed rails. So the return lines don't really rely on gravity to dump, the pressure itself will actually "push" it back into the tank?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx for posing the question from our text back and forth yesterday. ;Sweet

I am thinking I may just do the same thing w/ my 115 gallon in bed tank and also ditch the stock tanks, since my back one is apparently ***** anyway.

To clarify, if I ran a return line back from the engine and fed it to the top of my in bed tank, it should push fuel back into the tank? Keep in mind the top of my tank is about 10" above the bed rails. So the return lines don't really rely on gravity to dump, the pressure itself will actually "push" it back into the tank?

Absolutely! As others have said I can,t give a pressure but it is plenty.

Any doubts? Unhook it and put the thumb on it.....ya, ok pressure!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is only a couple of places the return can get pressure from. All the injectors bleed off pressure to the return system and so does the top of the injection pump. So the return pressure can't be so much that the injector returns are forced back into the top of the pump. I would guess its probably just under the pressure made by the lift pump and thats around 6 lbs. But thats a guess...

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rds 45 gallon in my bed and it feeds fuel back to the tank just fine. Like said it doesn't shoot out but its more than a trickle at idle. I also use a holley red electric fuel pump too. I took my rear tank out due to leaking and hooked up the lines to the tank in the bed. I also plumbed the tank in the bed into my fuel neck filler to fill my front tank under the bed. That way I can use the big rig pumps all the time.