rerouting the return line

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok-ive read this someplace and i dont remember if it had a good outcome or a bad one.
im thinking about unhooking my return line from the tank and splicing it into the supply line prior to the liftpump. thinking this a help with keeping my fuel temps up-but im worried about over pressurizing the system between the liftpump and the IP. but im thinking that any excess fuel the lift pump doesnt need will be forced back through the supply line into the tank.(is their a checkvalve there?)
what do you guys think?
maybe ill hook an adjustable fuel pressure regulator between the return line and the liftpump set at 10psi and the return from the regulator to the return on the fuel tank.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I have my return line routed back into the supply line on my veggie tank side but the diesel side still returns to the tank and I have had no problems with it this way. The only downside is if you get air in the system you now have no where for it to go but back to the injector pump so passing air would take a little longer then then normal other wise this will work fine cause even if there was a check valve on the end of the line the lift pump is going to pull the fuel that comes the easiest so if theres even the slightest preasure on the return line that fuel will come into the supply line over pulling it all the way from the tank there for the pump will only pull what fuel is needed from the tank

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I have my return line routed back into the supply line on my veggie tank side but the diesel side still returns to the tank and I have had no problems with it this way.

Me too

The only downside is if you get air in the system you now have no where for it to go but back to the injector pump so passing air would take a little longer then then normal other wise this will work fine cause even if there was a check valve on the end of the line the lift pump is going to pull the fuel that comes the easiest so if theres even the slightest preasure on the return line that fuel will come into the supply line over pulling it all the way from the tank there for the pump will only pull what fuel is needed from the tank

When I drain my Vormax of water, a pocket of air is created in the line. I never have a problem with it once I restart the truck. I have no idea where or how the air pocket gets eliminated, but it's not a problem.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanx-does it help alot with fuel temps? im thinking the difference would be considerable.

JOAT

Reaction score
That suburban is very sensitive to air. The return volume is pretty small tho so I don't know how much heat you'll get back looping it. Try disconnecting the return line and run it to a bucket for a few miles and see how much fuel is really being returned. If it's enough to warrant using a loop, then you just have to be carefull to keep air leaks to a minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online