rebuilt tranny byt still not shifting need help please!!!!!!

green thang

Reaction score
ok so i had the tranny rebuilt 3 months ago and then last week it started to act up again skipping gears and shifting all over. so took it to the tranny place they put in a new valve body and they said it still didnt shift right so they put in some new sensor on the rear axle that senses speed still nothin. they finally said they cant do any more they dont know. so i called ford and they said it might be the guage cluster. this makes a little sense seeijnt the spedo reads way off (on the highway it says im doing 30-40 mph), the oil pressure guage is at low (not cuz the truck still runs fine not ticking or anything) and the coolent guage reads cold long after warm up (though it never really has woked right to begin with)

i need suggestions please help!!!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
what tranny do you have? Do you have a tach? If so on the tach is it working correctly? The E4OD uses electronics to determine when to shift and the C6 uses vacuum... so we need to know which tranny we are dealing with.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm not much of an auto tranny troubleshooting guru in any stretch of the means but here is what I would do...

Check the setting of the FIPL (Fuel Injection Position Lever or TPS - Throttle Position Sensor as some call it) check the middle wire on the connector to ground. It should read 1.2 volts with the Engine OFF but Key ON and the engine warm - meaning that the high idle solenoid isn't putting the engine at high idle. I normally did this test on a cold engine but just would unplug the high idle solenoid from it's electrical connection. This sensor is used by the PCM to determine when to shift based upon the amount of power you are calling for at that time.

The other thing it uses is as you already know is the speed sensor in the rear axle - you said that they replaced it so I'll assume that it's working correctly but inspect the wiring associated with it along with the wiring to the FIPL - our trucks are older and we have to look at the condition of the wires themselves because of this. I think the transmission has 6 electrical plugs on it that communicate with the PCM so I would check all those to make sure they are seated fully and not corroded - I would get some electrical grease and as I pull them off to check them I would lube them up again because I'm sure after all these years they could use a little as you plug them back up. Also check the wiring at the PCM itself. The PCM is located at the firewall on the drivers side with the electrical plug / connection that is accessable in the engine bay. It's down low by the wheel well.

As for your dash not working properly I would look at the wiring associated with it - I would check the grounds by taking them loose and cleaning them up with some Scotchbrite pad or a little sand paper or the like and remaking them - again after all these years wiring connection can go bad.

But by the sounds of it your problem is your speedo being off and I would start off by looking at electrical causes if it were me.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
One thing that can cause spedo errors and trans errors like that is the wire that goes to the sensor in the rear. It can break down or just totally break (would mean no spedo). Find a piigtail for that sensor and replace all the waire that flexes and try that. Its a shot at the problem from this keyboard but its a cheap place to start
Ken

green thang

Reaction score
ok i checked the sensor at the rear axle that looks fine. i look at the one on the rear of the trans looks fine (also new frome the tranny shop). i also checked wires i could see the wires go up above the trans i cant see up there. what other sensors are there. that throttle one where is that? thank you guys so much in advance tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726