rebuild cost

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
I was wondering how much it would cost for a complete engine rebuild.
What is your opinions on as far as bore sizes? Can you buy an aftermarket cam? And who makes the best glow plugs? How long do zf 5spds last?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went .030 over but I have a 6.9. If you have a 7.3, I would not bore it but I would sleeve it.

Pistons and rings...400 Engine work.....500 Gaskets....200 Rods and Mains.....200 I would say if you had the tools and the facilities it would be around 1500 for a solid rebuild. Type4(Russ) has a torque cam, but there are no other aftermarkets. Motorcraft ZD9's are the best GP's. And I think the longetivity of a ZF depends just like anything else, How well was it taken care of...

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
sorry such a long rant

Please bear with me, or ignore my slight rant,
I've been thinking about this for some time.

You might shave a couple bucks off that 1500, but not much.

Of course you will run into Murphy's law, he's the only stopper/sidetracker.

I've built few motors, have replaced many peripherals, the story of my life.

Don't forget the water pump, starter, alternator, hoses, oil cooler, oil pump, belts, clutch, Oh and valves, springs, seats and keepers etc.

That make it go....

PLEASE,

Look at your breaking system, remember....

Take-off is optional, landing is mandatory. (unknown author)

If you do this, please take notes/pics, I've been thinking about starting to buy some parts for the future. (parts don't go bad, like fruit)
Bearings, shoes, drums, U-joints, ya know
Some may become impossible to find. (see oilcooler orings)

These IH motors seem to last near forever, if you treat them ok. Mine was rode hard and put away wet, she sat for 3-5 years, then I ran her hard for 2000 miles, now I have semi-retired her, mostly trips to the dump with an ungodly load, never left me stranded.

Other than the day I bought her, put fuel in the front tank, the switch was on the rear tank, ran out 2 miles from home with 15 gal in the main tank. I could not get the switch to work for 2 weeks (fuel solenoid stuck) after that? no problems....Gremlins moved in, I scared them away, I guess.

Sorry, I really like the truck I have now, It's old, rusty, smells bad (if your back there), Don't like to start when its cold cold, but it's got a lift gate, oh yes, it feels good to see a 2500 lb wood stove or a 800 Lb hot tub rise up.........Different things are important when you turn 40/50, and that lift gate? almost 1/2 ton. makes it a nice ride . 15 Mpg across the board, yup I drive old/slow.

OBTW she's got torque!

How much is your truck worth to you?

Sorry for the long post,

LCjeff

Look Ma, no smilies in this thread!.....yet.