• Get the used running 6.9 for $250

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Bacon

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i melted a piston in my 7.3 which is already 20 over. My options are rebuild the 7.3 and have it bored to 30 over, or get a used running 6.9 out of an 85. The rebuild is going to cost me over a grand, while the 6.9 i can get for $250. It is still sitting in the truck running and comes with everything attached. If i got the 6.9 i would do head gaskets and throw it into my truck which is in my sig. I have the 7.3 torn down waiting at the machine shop for the go-ahead. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edit: I am doing everything myself to save cash and have fun. Another piston looks like it has a hairline crack, and the rod bearings show a lot of stress on the upper part from detonation.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put 6.9 in it, and take your time on the 7.3 rebuild. id prob just sleeve the 7.3 if anything.

In2Fords

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont trust the walls in a 7.3 as it is, I know its still thick enough but after dealing with cavitation in my 91 I dont trust them at all. It would allways be on my mind if I bored it over at all.

tractorman86

Reaction score
ez are you a fat man too(at heart at least)? i too chose bacon-Drool-Drool
yea the 6.9 is a better idea if there isn't any unknown problems

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You melted a piston but is the cylinder damaged?
If the cylinder is okay then honing that cylinder and a new piston could get the engine going again.
get the 6.9 anyways

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I agree with Calvin on this one, I'd say get the running 6.9 and work on rebuilding the 7.3, and by the time your done rebuilding it you'll have a bullet proof motor and you'll know exactly what went in to it. Just my .02

Burninoil

Reaction score
this is making me hungry...

buy the 6.9 and build it. scrap the 7.3 boring a 7.3 over stock is like playing with fire and finding someone who can install sleeves correctly is not easy, it will drain the wallet too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you can get a good sleeve job done, it will never be as strong as the 6.9 with its single piece casting and thicker walls. if you can drop a piston in the damaged hole to get you by for another few months, I would go that route and have a PROPER built 6.9 ready for when the 7.3 finally takes its last walk.