Rear shock angle?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im finally doing the rear shocks in this thing. The 08 axle shock brackets were welded on so after grinding them off and seeing were my new ones are going to go i noticed the upper shocks mount has the shocks pointing at an outward angle making it difficult to line up my straight brackets. So are they like that from the factory or are the upper mounts bent. Theres enough play in the bushing to somewhat line it up enough were i could bolt everything up but not sure thats the right way to go about it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
at ride height, I would have everything so that the bushings are not in a bind in any way.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt say there in a bind they could still move freely throughout the travel they would just be twisted in the shock a little. Im not sure in there origanally like that or not but there at a slight angle torwards the tire.

swald

Reaction score
I hadn't gotten that far with my swap to notice yet. However I can see that the locating pins for the axle brackets will need to be moved (or deleted altogether), since they're on the wrong side. Not knowing how the uppers look, would it be difficult to bend them to provide a better fit with the lowers? I spose the gas tank would be an obstacle to pointing some heat them.

Last edited:

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about just bending the top. I dont think it would be to hard with a big wrench and some heat

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a couple other 05 and up swaps and they just relocated the brackets and everything bolted on no problem. Im starting to think my upper brackets are indeed bent from damage

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anybody has the time take a look at your upper shock mounts and see if theres any bend in it causing the shocks to bend outward. if your shocks and upper mount are straight then indeed mine are bent from damage and ill have to try to bend them back into position.

swald

Reaction score
Mine appears to show a slight angle as well.

Attachments

• e95a2ff3-c44f-4883-b0d2-4c0efb2f4440.jpg
    e95a2ff3-c44f-4883-b0d2-4c0efb2f4440.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9e6f824d-cc6b-4c37-999a-452fddd5e475.jpg
    9e6f824d-cc6b-4c37-999a-452fddd5e475.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 5

CharlesG

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the shock bracket on my '89. This is the drivers side bracket, the shock does angle toward the tire.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

swald

Reaction score
There's also appears to be enough clearance for adjustment in either direction

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems its supposed to be like that. Ill try bend my lower shock brackets i made to match the angle. Or try to cut the top so itll sit flush with the axle at an angle.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, after some grinding and finagling I got the new mounts welded on at the correct angle. Theres still maybe a slight twist but not enough to effect anything. I see now why mig welding just doesnt work outside, any tiny bit of wind and things went south. There definetly on there, whenever i get around to it ill grind out all the bad weld and redo that spot. Theres plenty of good weld on there they didnt pop off on the way home and the roads here are rough.