rear leaf spring shackle flip

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
but for us with the flip kit or the correct way of lifting(new springs) they will not work.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually ride rite has some bags that say they are for a 4" lift:sly i will need to look into this further, any other recommended air bag companies out there? i believe goose has some on his truck maybe he can chime in.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to be as worried about the 'flimsy' ford shackle in a compression vs. tension setting - I've had the rear shackle flip on my dually for years, the only problems I've had have been related to driveline vibrations from not shimming the pinion back down. DieselCrawler, I also used the factory shackle mount bracket - I didn't flip it, I just modified it - and have had no problems with the integrity of that piece either. I actually also use factory rear shackles at the back of my front springs, as I did a shackle reversal up front. I don't tow rediculous weight, but I do log probably 10k miles a year with 6-8k loads.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad the stock shackle seems to work for everyone. Looking at it though, you can see my where my concern is coming from, the shackle is a little bit thicker than sheetmetal.

My lift blocks introduce no vibrations in the driveline, at least mine don't seem to. I am glad that was brought up, although it seems like you have to pry this info out of people. Most people say "it works great" and never mention some of the other stuff. It sounds like if I don't want to mess with shims/blocks for the rearend, it's not going to work very well.

And I think we need to discuss more about the wheel centering in the wheel opening. Does everyone have this problem and ignore it or have another little trick to correct it? I really think if more parts are needed to make this work properly, Sky Manufacturing and others should include the necessary parts in their kits. Or have it in bold letters what else you need and where to get it.