rear diff temp gauge

radshooter

Reaction score
How important is it to have? I tow a 16k fifth wheel about every other month, sometimes long distances. I am planning on installing a pyro (pre-turbo) and a boost in a 2 guage pillar pod. Should I go ahead with a 3 guage pod and include the rear diff temp guage now? What temp range does the guage need to be? Will the 0-280 in Geno's be enough? I am going to order the EGT and Boost and pod from Geno's anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

B

Big K

I'd order the 3 pod and install a fuel pressure gauge instead. The 3 Gen 's have been good so far, but the jury is still out on the lift pump.

I, too, would like to have a rear diff. gauge, along with tranny. Future projects. I do have my Mag-Hytec cover on the rear, though. That would be a good upgrade for you. More capacity is a good thing.

Use a top quality synthetic in the rear, of the proper viscosity, and don't worry. Do the AAM diffs come with syn? Seems I heard somewhere that they did?

Can't help with the temp range, but 'd think that if you hit 280F there would be problems to deal with.

JMHO

MUDDY

Reaction score
very impotant imo. i beleive in rear temp along w/ 6spd tranny temp. ya got good place in dash cubby for 3 xtra guages. i got my 2nd pyro [pre] and tranny/rear temp and soon fp there. eric bu12 sells these guage plates

the aam comes w/ synthetic. on a hot day towin itll be nice to onitr temp so ya know when to back off. harold says temps get up there in some condiditons.

ya dont want to go over 230

radshooter

Reaction score
Thanks Muddy and Big K.

Muddy...I am going to have to cancel my spot for the gauge install at the BOMB party in March. I am not going to be able to get that weekend off. Thought I would let you know so you could slide someone elses truck into my spot.

Steve

radshooter

Reaction score
Thanks.....I'll plan on it. If something changes between now and March, I may still swing by just to say HI, but don't hold shop space for me.
Steve

B

Big K

Originally posted by MUDDY
very impotant imo. i beleive in rear temp along w/ 6spd tranny temp.

So what is the current opinion on the 3 Gen lift pump, Muddy? Wouldn't you still think that the f/p gauge would be more important in the short run, and that the rear/tranny gauges would be a good addition at any time. Which would you say is more important now?

Just curious, as you are way better tuned into the 3 Gen than I.
I have some friends buying and ordering so's I'd like the scoop.

THX:D

nblack

Reaction score
Auto Meter makes a 100*- 250*diff. temp gauge in their Ultra-Lite line. Don't know about their other lines though.

Nathan

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
For you auto tranny guys, if you have a trans temp gauge, then just get a second sending unit for it, then install it in the diff. Now all you need is a switch to go back and forth from tranny temp to diff temp. The diff is a nice thing to monitor, but the temps fluctuate more gradually. So constant monitoring (separate gauge) is not necessary.

For the manual tranny guys, I have heard of some still running a temp gauge (not sure where they installed it) so that option is still open, or just do a dual oil temp and diff temp setup with the single gauge. Heck, you could monitor more than two items (if you wanted to) just by using mutliple sending units, a single gauge, and a multi-position, or rotary type switch. Hope this helps, Kevin

QRTRHRS

Reaction score
Like Kevin said, you could put the engine oil, 6 speed and rear all on one guage. Using the same theory Mag-Hytec applies to their rear cover, I used the oil fill plug on my 5 speed for the sensor with a few bushings. Quick and dirty unless you want to add the Fast Coolers or something. My readings are similar to others using immersed sensors. The rear is more important than the tranny, you really need to be working to see the tranny heat up.

MUDDY

Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
So what is the current opinion on the 3 Gen lift pump, Muddy? Wouldn't you still think that the f/p gauge would be more important in the short run, and that the rear/tranny gauges would be a good addition at any time. Which would you say is more important now?

Just curious, as you are way better tuned into the 3 Gen than I.
I have some friends buying and ordering so's I'd like the scoop.

THX:D

taint as criticl as the 2nd gen. ya need some positive pressure but aint like the vp44.in otherwords runnin down to 2psi aint gonna hurt,,,,so they say. in fact seversal bombed rigs been ran down to 0psi many many times w/ no ill effects.[i wouldnt wanna do it] and it depends on how bombed ya are as to fuel used [how low it pulls down to],as is vp44. when i get my injectors in i will do the fp guage in adition to a dd delivery pump. i already got my trannytemp in and soon get maghytec and hook rr guage. on my 6spds, i had fastcoolers and my guage was hooked in one of them

so basicly,,,,,,if mild bombed on a 3g id do tranny/rear temp first then fp. if i did more than a 70 hp increase then id do a fp guage along with a dd pump. of course,,the more miles a rig has on it,the more chance of lp gettin weak so monitoring fp would be wiser as time and mileage passes

a wise man would have 2 pyros [2 guages,both pre], boost, tranny/rear temp[on 1 guage] and fuel prrsr. ya got room if ya use eric bu's guage plate

Last edited:

CHarlan

Reaction score
Eric... Our 5600's run very cool... the hottest I have gotten mine is 220° pulling a loaded down stock trailer from Houston to San Antonio at about 80-90 mph.... otherwise, you will never go over 180°... in all reality, it is cool to have, just make sure you get one that is 100-280°, not 140-320.. mine seldom moves in the winter months, unless pulling a long distance... Kind of hard to do right now since I have a blown head gasket.. oh well!

B

Big K

With two Fast Coolers and syn, I'm not concerned. Just want it eventually for the coolness factor :cool

And because I can ;p

THX

Whit

Reaction score
I monitor my rear diff temp and want to do a switch so I can see the 56oo temp if needed.

Cheers, Kevin