Really squishy brake pedal

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my '90 sig. truck has a pretty squishy brake pedal. If I apply even pressure it will drop almost to the floor and it feels like I only have brakes on the front axle. When I come to a stop, the truck does the little bounce back thing and doesnt feel like there is any braking on the rear at all. If I had to do a panic stop I am screwed so I need to get this figured out pretty quick...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was like this when I purchased it. Does your e-brake work? Mine was not very good. Ended up going thru the rear brakes as the self adjuster got gummed up. Cleaned it up, put a light high temp grease on the threads, and it works better. Still, to make the self adjusters work you need to back up and hit the brakes, then come to a complete stop before releasing. They aren't the best, so manually adjusting the rears when the e-brake gets low to the floor or your pedal gets "mushy" is a good idea.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No E-brake. Either the ratchet deal is siezed or the cables are. The rear brakes are probably just about done on this so when I can get some time, I will be putting all new cables and shoes in. If I can get the lines cracked free from the wheel cylinders I will replace those just for the hell of it too...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drums come off over the studs on these Sterling 10.25's I am thinkin...or do I gotta pull the axle and spindle nut/bearings?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drums come off over the hubs and make it easy...

Sounds like back brakes need major adjustment..

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
address it sooner than later... on my first idi, soon after the pedal got squishy, I had a shoe come through the drum it was so thin... I've found most people tend to do a poor job of rear brake maintenance.

Reaction score
I just did mine all four and it got a little worse so It was doing the exact same thing as yours are now. so I replaced the master and bled the Crap out of them went through two big bottles of fluid before I was happy with the color. Brakes work great now

Kelleyj1837

Reaction score
When i got mine it was like that also so i replaced the master. and that helped some. Then i Hered a air leak when the brakes where applied so after investigation the brake booser was bad. got a new one from autozone and now it stops better than ever.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I would almost guarantee that your rear brakes need replaced. On F350's, the rear brakes engage before the front's do. Hence the low pressure on the pedal, and the lack of stopping power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online