ran across an issue today with my 87 6.9

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
took the old girl on a trip today and she didnt really like it. was doing fine until i hit the hwy, runnin about 55-60 it would slowly lose power, then power surge and speed up. got to my destination without many issues, but when i was leaving i pulled up to the stop sign, and it died, fired right back up and ran good. ran on the high way no problem goin 60-65, but when i let off the accelerator to slow down, when i went to give it some throttle, it wouldnt do anything and then all of a sudden came back. so i put a new fuel filter on, and put a can of sea foam in each tank and fueled up with fresh fuel. it is running better, but it will still die after coming to a stop after accelerating. or if at an idle, i rev it up to about 2000, then let off, it will die, sometimes will idle way down and continue to run. any ideas? thanks

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
sticky metering valve in the ip, pull filter, fill with atf, put back on, fire up until you hear idle change, kill and let sit overnight. If that doesnt work might be time to pull the top off of the ip and wash it out real good with brakeclean, had to do that once to my truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump. If its over 125,000 its generally felt thats the limit for them. Some get more and some get less. You might also see what pressure is at the filter head and what the flow rate is. Your lift pump could be failing too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May want to try a Lubro Molly Diesel Purge

do advanced search and use TECH 101 as key words then select titles only and my username for person and you'll find my two part HOW TO for doing a diesel purge....

Al

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I bought a new VW diesel I'd fill the fuel filter with diesel purge and then run a line straight from the fuel filter and return line into a clean mason jar filled with diesel purge. I'd run it until the jar was almost empty and it would generally run alot better, it's good stuff. Never tried it on larger diesels though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online