radio whine...............

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I thought I lost that possibilty when I stopped using spark plugs -cuss :confused:

Really annoying at low volume and rowing thu gears....and I don't even have the sub connected....

New stereo I put in-200 watt Jensen 50 x4- going to 4 250 watt Sony EXPLODE 3 and 4 way speakers has that whine that follows eng speed....just like a old gasser with big plug wires and high energy point style ignition......yea I'm old enough to have had that pleasure LOL

My old system didn't do that--10 yr old Pioneer cookoo

Where can I look or do the noise supression filters work on our trucks :confused:

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio whine is caused by the alternator ripple voltage
  1. Can be a signal that a diode in the rectifier is/has gone bad in the alternator
  2. Caused by poor electrical connections especially at the battery
  3. Amp connected directly to the battery
  4. Almost forgot...Poor chassis ground especially in older vehicles
  5. Bad grounds on amps and crossovers
Cures
  1. Clean/tighten battery connections
  2. Check connections on sterio, especially an amp if installed
  3. Get alternator tested for a little preventative maintenance in case it's failing
  4. Install a heavy duty noise filter that is rated at or above the amp rating of the alternator and install it as close to the output stud of the alternator as possible
  5. Check chassis ground....If needed you might try making a new one with some of that welding cable, make sure you solder the lugs on it if you do.
If all else fails bring it here so we can stand there and scratch our heads together trying to figure it out:D

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing, you may have actually had the noise before on the old system that wasn't noticable, but now could be amplified with a more powerfull system.

If you have a crossover on the sub (like you're supposed too) it probably wouldn't be heard through it as it is usually a mid and high level frequency noise

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a bad or improperly sized ground geo.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ground loop isolator..... you can pick one up at radio shack for like 10 bucks..... it hooks to your out put cables from your head unit to your amp....every car i've seen or had or installed an amp in had one and that is the exact reason why

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thanks: Guys....alt is 6 mos old{will still check it out}
Replaced batteries last weekend...got 6 years out of them and they outlasted 3 starters :D
So needless to say batt posts and cable clamps clean and tick tight!

No amp in this new system----YET LOL and all grounds are solid and tight..including the fact jumpers and even that bastid one behind the right cyl head-cuss

Odd thing is when I key off from a running engine the is a LOUD click herd thru the system regardless of volume.....obviously doesn't happen when just listening with the key in ACC.....

Mike ...may have to pay ya a visit!....wanna see that kitchen :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike ...may have to pay ya a visit!....wanna see that kitchen :D

Bring it down, you're alway welcome here...The tile countertop turned out nice, over 60 sq ft of counter space now with the addition and bar.

Don't know if you got my message on your voice mail but if you lose power cause the storm is worse than the weatherman says bring mama with you and warm up by the wood stove.Toasty:D

Mama's off sunday as her last day of work is saturday then she retires too, it'ld be a good day if your wife wants to tag along.....I'll be here till monday mornning when I leave to get the new truck.

I was playing with my new Equus CanOBDII code reader yesterday ;Sweet It can look up the Ford diesel codes and tell you exactly what they are.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1700 watts of stereo in my truck and i aint got no whine,800 watts in the 94 with no whine.no whine in the CB radio in the 95 but the 94s CB whine like a little girl.every thing but the 94s CB is connected directly to the battery.the 94s CB is wired to the fuse panel.

one thing you can try wich helps us CB people find out where the whine is comeing from.

pull the radio out and disconnect the antenna lead.if the noise goes away its comeing through the antenna.replace the antenna cable.if the noise is still there it is comeing in through the wireing.check you wireing.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well stereo and sat radio now have isolated 12 ga ground directly to batt....still there cookoo :frustrate

:cheers: Hamster :D alt checked out too :confused:

Rich...ant makes no diff........GRRRRRRRRR:backoff

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where do you have the memory wire and ower wires hooked up?to the factory wireing or did you run your own wire for the memory?

Kept running by 94F450SD's Pile-O-Parts :rotflmao :rotflmao

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill tell you guys something wierd.my 94 had this problem with the CB radio BAAAAD!!!!!it would drive me nuts!!!!!!i couldnt use the cb while driving thats how bad it was.new alt.new bat. cables.new batts,cleaned all graound connections including the clip on grounds from the cab to the frame.i swapped from auto tranny to a 5 speed and the noise is gone.dont ask me why that made the noise go away cuz i have no clue :dunno:confused:.im just glad its gone.never had the noise in the stereo though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online