Question for old timers? Maybe youngins who know trailers

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after failing to find reliable data, I figured it was worth a shot here. I'm in the market for a gooseneck trailer, would prefer smaller. Found a 16 footer, but don't really have any way to tell what kind of weight ratings it can handle.

It's a good 2 hours from me so have not looked in person yet. I'm also wondering what kind of info anyone might have about the trailers from the 70s to begin with, I'm thinking they were probably heavier then now and made well, I'll have to investigate the rust situation. In short, any vague general data about a 1976 gooseneck would be appreciated. Not sure of model or brand. Did the design improve drastically between then and now? Or if the steel is solid could this be fine for non commercial use. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quickest way to get an idea is looking at the axles. Count the lugs. Lighter duty trailers will have 5 or 6 lugs. Heavy duty axles are usually 8 lug. Just a rule of thumb. 7k trailers are usually 6 lug. 10k or higher are usually 8 lug.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. A five lug axle is good for 3500 pounds per axle. Most six lugs are 5K a piece (though I have seen 6K six lugs with 16 inch wheels).
8 lug axles are generally 7500 pounds per axle with singles.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depending on you DL, you are legal to haul 10k bumper pull and 15k GN. a 16ft GN is prolly 10k gross or 15k gross. What are you planning on hauling? a 16ft can only haul a reg cab truck. going after a 15k 20ft GN would be much better. those you can squeeze a crew cab onto the deck.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gooseneck is a 74 I believe. only thing readable on the data plate is 74 and 20,000. Axle design is different than what I see on newer trailers. The axle does not cross the center. there's a tire, then a spring assembly, then another tire. You might call them trucks I suppose. But there are four sets, for a total of eight tires.

Turning tight corners under a heavy load is something I try to avoid,.. looks like a pretzel under there.

I'm not a fan of the electric brakes, but without spending a small fortune, it seems to be the best bang for the buck. But they're a pain.

someday I'd like to fabricate a way to lift one axle when traveling light. Tolls and wear.

I don't think I'd buy anything other than a deckover at this point. I have learned to hate dealing with the fenders on my bumper pull.

And a tilting deck would be the bees knees

The larger newer trailers seem to be going toward oiled hubs rather than greased. I am curious what the longevity of those are in comparison.

A lot of older stuff around here is a frame someone scavenged from an old fifth wheel camper. Some look okay,.. some pretty sketchy.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
someday I'd like to fabricate a way to lift one axle when traveling light. Tolls and wear.

I've got the same style setup on my 27', I replaced the front set of springs with low-arch packs, and replaced the rears with high-arch packs, all were at a local mobile home place, they cost IIRC about $75 per pair of springs and bolted right in, the front set sits about 6" off the ground unloaded, they don't touch the ground with under 15k sitting on it

ND allows you up to 27k without a cdl ;Sweet

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the same style setup on my 27', I replaced the front set of springs with low-arch packs, and replaced the rears with high-arch packs, all were at a local mobile home place, they cost IIRC about $75 per pair of springs and bolted right in, the front set sits about 6" off the ground unloaded, they don't touch the ground with under 15k sitting on it

That's a clever way to do it. I'm leaning toward an air bag suspension, but the spring packs would certainly be easier.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just double-checking...is that 27K for a towed trailer, or 27K for a single vehicle?

I know that some states have different laws for intrastate, but IIRC many states limit a single vehicle to 26K and a towed trailer to 10K before requiring a CDL...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
by the law it's 27k gcvw
in practice though, as long as it's not tagged as a commercial vehicle they aren't going to bother you in my area unless they suspect you are over the axle limit for the road
lots of farms, an air force base 10 miles north, national guard armory on the north end of town, a mobile home manufacturer, 3 gravel pits in town, coal mine to the south, oil fields out west......
The area weigh station is just west down the highway from my place at the DOT office, it's right next to an implement dealership and is only open 1 day a week at most, the highway patrol has 2 suvs equipped with portable scale systems they use instead
I got my GN trailer for free, for hauling an IH 7788 3 times a year for a few years for a farmer I know when his truck bit it, I stopped at the weigh station last year because it was open, came in at 45k total :eek:
they told me a) I was still legal because it was for farm use, and b) being a personal vehicle, if I was considered overweight, I would have to go into the DOT office and get the $20 single trip permit :rotflmao
that's the fine for a non-cdl overweight personal vehicle, you have to pay the "extraordinary use charge", and now you can do it online on a smartphone or laptop, I think I'll just get the $20 permit if I think I'll be overweight ;Sweet
if I was limited to 10k, the trailer hits that LOL