PSD swap?

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Just because i bored and seek knowledge how hard would it be to do a psd swap in an older ford?

i would imagine you would need

engine complete ( to include ecu harness)
Dash
fuel pump
and some custom motor mounts ?

would that be all?
you could find a complete psd on ebay for a decent penny
and i imagine you could take the ecu and mount it in dash and cut out all the of the wires that would not effect the motor
and then rip the dash apart and re assemble in the "older dash" with some sheet metal and spray paint?
get a good fuel pump and motor mounts and a tranny of course
? just day dreaming and looking to learn

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselbrad is about to do that exact swap. PSD into an 86. I have enough stuff here to do that swap 2times if your interested.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. Rob is correct.
I have been collecting parts and have everything to do it other than the time-cuss.

Motor mounts on a PSD will bolt right in place of the idi ones.

I have been trying to find a way to keep my 86 dash but that is not going to happen. The only real place to mount the ECM is the stock location, which happens to be where the 80-86 e-brake pedal is. So you need to use the 92-97 e-brake pedal assembly, which in turn makes you use a 92-97 pedals, dash, steering column. EVERYTHING is tied into the harness on a PSD. The throttle is fly by wire, the speedometer is as well, the tach uses a differnt signal. teh list goes on and on.

The way I am going about it(when i find the time). is remove the 6.9 and 4spd and replace it with 95 powerstroke and zf5. The rear axle is getting swapped out for a 87 unit with a VSS in it for a speedo reading.
the COMPLETE 86 harness will come out of the truck as well as the 86 interior. I will have to modify the firewall to allow the ECM mounting. I will also have to modify the cab to accept the 92-97 dash. The COMPLETE PSD harness will go into the truck and will will just spice the headlight and taillight ends to work with my 86 lights. The fuel tank senders and tank switch will also be swapped for the PSD ones.

When i am done i will have a 86 truck but a 95 drivetrain and interior
a 86 body and frame
a 95 PSD engine, ZF5, D60, and sterling 10.25 with a VSS
The interior will be completely a 94(thanks rob)

So when i go to get parts I will just have to tell them it is a 95 PSD and everything will be like factory, not a hogwash of mixed an matched custom parts

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a 94-97 PSD truck and change out the front clip and bed?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You could always get rid of the e brake i mean none of my trucks has one cause i never need it

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
With a manual trans?????cookoocookoocookoocookoo

When i park on a hill i put it in 4lo and in reverse, it will not roll period! even with the tractor loaded on our wagon no matter the hill, and for added safety if i ever park on a hill i have a pair of scotches i made from wood, its never rolled, and i never really park on hills unless i absolutely have to cause its dumb to do something you dont have to

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Whew! That one makes me dizzy!

As for the parking brake, some states require them AND operational.
Just saying.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Whew! That one makes me dizzy!

As for the parking brake, some states require them AND operational.
Just saying.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
With a manual trans?????cookoocookoocookoocookoo

mine has not worked in years :rolleyes: (i'll get to it)

you learn to use the curb as a chalk and I allways leave it in 1st (1st in lower then R on a zf) and with 21:1 CR its not going anywhere... and ft it does it wont be quick LOL

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Mmm

i didn't know that the PSD was fly by wire i could see that being a problem for sure.
since you are doing a COMPLETE swap lol interior and all i could see how thats going to be a huge pain.

but just for shitngiggles could you just replace your pedal assembly and tear down the old dash and tear down the new dash and remake it on a piece of sheet metal? Ive seen people do it on newer cars and have done it my self on my 300zx ( only because i wanted a few more gauges) then you could theoretically cut all of the harness off that you wouldn't need ? just throwing ideas out there lol.

i would love to do a PSD swap but not right now I'm a "new" freak and i could never put a used psd in my truck...ever mostly because i like to know from mile 1 what the engine has been put through so if i ever do ill need a 0 miles psd lol. just for a piece of mind

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
lol my truck has a parking break..does it work..hell no lol but i dont drive it.
hopefully it is not to expensive to get fixed lol