Proper 5/8 Studs or New Wheel Spacers

6T9burner

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been rebuilding the front end of my 1986 F250 XLT Lariat w/ duallies. I have run into a bit of an issue, besides missing the nut for the passenger side I-beam.

On the front, I have wheel spacers. I cannot find the studs for these things to save my life. Does anyone know where I can pick up a set of the spacers, get the correct studs if you recognize the setup(I don't have all the measurements at the moment), or tell me what wheel spacers I should get to replace them? I'm pulling my hair out since I am missing a single stud on each side.

You must be registered for see images attach

6T9burner

Reaction score
After spending some time on the phone with Ford, I found out that this was a dually conversion done at the factory, prior to delivery. It does look like the AA-4. Unfortunately, they were unable to tell me the stud size for the wheel extender. From what I can gather w/ my calipers, the knurl is .875,threaded portion is 5/8-18. I forgot to measure the tapered shoulder. As soon as I find out more, I will post, in case anyone else needs this info.

6T9burner

Reaction score
The soap opera continues. I found UB (the B inside the U) stamped on the bolt. It looks like they were made by a company that made oil plugs for Chevy and a bunch of other bolts for VW in the 1950's and 60's. Any idea as to what company it might be; if you know, are they still in business?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Just bout the whole bubs from orileys with studs in them for my 85. Only costed 45 a piece and 3 days waiting. As far as the term "bubs" that's how the old geezer behind the counter knew what I was referring to. Weren't in the computer so had to sit there and wait forever while he opened the old catalogs the old school way and then call the warehouse and order it in

6T9burner

Reaction score
Just bout the whole bubs from orileys with studs in them for my 85. Only costed 45 a piece and 3 days waiting. As far as the term "bubs" that's how the old geezer behind the counter knew what I was referring to. Weren't in the computer so had to sit there and wait forever while he opened the old catalogs the old school way and then call the warehouse and order it in

I am unfamiliar with the term "bubs". Does it refer to a manufacturer or a specific type of wheel stud? The one I am looking for thread is 5/8-18, .875 spline; I don't have the shoulder length but can snag it later.

I was told that those spacers were made for military use and that only 2000 were made. I'm not sure how much I trust this. They look a lot like Arrowcraft AA-4, but are different in that there are two bolts between it's reinforcement, instead of one, like the aa-4.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was referring to Budd wheels and not Bubs.

Last edited:

6T9burner

Reaction score
@frankenwrench do you remember the catalog information or skew for the bolts? I tried finding information on the wheel spacer, but have had no luck so far

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
He was referring to Bud wheels and not Bubs.
He refered to them as bub spacers not buds. Either way my dually has those on the front end bolted to the roters. I will check after work and see if I still have the box laying around somewhere in the shop. And when I got them they both already had new lug bolts in them so for me it was a win win situation.

6T9burner

Reaction score
@frankenwrench I'd appreciate that. It's two bolts between each support partition? I initially confused these things w/ the Arrowcraft AA-4. If you do have the same ones, I would love to get the info on the studs. You would save me the time of having a machinist make me some!