Preparing for Hot August Nights

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I'm with Towcat, I try to stay out of Reno during HAN and Street Vibrations. I like the cars and bikes, but I get to see enough of them just driving to work, no need to ruin my day trying to drive around them.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
As a fellow Hot August Nighter when your in Reno and need to work on something I have a nice shop at my house 10 miles north of town.

Rot Box Hot August Nights is a 10 day Car event celebrating the 50's and 60's. There are 5500 cars registered in the event and they estimate 6000 more show up and cruise town and enter the non official events. approx. 800,000 people attend Hot August Nights H.A.N. takes over Reno and Sparks for the week. There is such a demand for entries that they have a waiting list. Once your on the list it usually takes 2 years before you recieve an entry.

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/

http://renotahoe.about.com/od/eventspictures/a/hotaugustnights.htm

I have 2 cars that I enter every year. I build and maintain a collection of 12 cars for my boss that he enters every year.

Thanks for the offer! if only we had known last year LOL what cars are you bringing this year?

And the 2 years on the waiting list is true, we applied in 2006 and didnt get accpeted till 2009 :eek:

They are also having one in South Lake tahoe this year the weekend before Reno, We are going to that one too

Last edited:

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may drive out for HAN. I have alot of family in Reno so if you need a parking spot let me know. Also if anyone will be IN Reno for HAN that knows how to time these trucks please inform. So far I havent found any one in utah that knows how. I dont trust dealerships.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer! if only we had known last year LOL what cars are you bringing this year?

And the 2 years on the waiting list is true, we applied in 2006 and didnt get accpeted till 2009 :eek:

They are also having one in South Lake tahoe this year the weekend before Reno, We are going to that one too

We are probably going to the Tahoe event too. This year I will have my '39 Ford truck. It's channeled 6 inches over a '53 Chev frame with a '34 grill. Powered by a Wicked tunnel rammed 383. We will also be using our '72 Riviera Boattail unless I have the '62 Cadillac done by then.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love a Boattail riv.. holding out for a 71 GS, just cause I am a '71 model... Would settle for a 72 though.. 3's got prego looking....in the ass and the face.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
We are probably going to the Tahoe event too. This year I will have my '39 Ford truck. It's channeled 6 inches over a '53 Chev frame with a '34 grill. Powered by a Wicked tunnel rammed 383. We will also be using our '72 Riviera Boattail unless I have the '62 Cadillac done by then.

well let me know if yall are going, we have 5 cars going to the tahoe one and 2 going to Reno.

Im bringing my 70 Chevelle, my Stepdad is bringin his 57 Bel-Air Show car. My Cousin is bringing his 63 Nova SS, My other cousin is bringin his 65 Chevelle Malibu(this one has a 550HP LT1 in her :sly), and my uncle is bringing his 69 Chevelle SS396. We are heading up on July 28 and going to the Tahoe one, Then on Monday we are going to our friends cabin till Wednesday I think then we are heading to Reno till Monday

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Oh dang sounds like a lot of fun for sure! ;Sweet

Reno isn't terribly far away I might have to cruise out there and check it out :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chevyboy how heavy is your trailer going to be? I have the 3.55 and a T18 and I don't think I'd start having problems with anything up to a few thousand punds but it's pretty flat here and I have a turbo..... I would be a bit afraid of towing heavy with this thing, I'd do it if I had to or really wanted to, the old IH would do it, but I'd have to be careful.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Hey Chevyboy how heavy is your trailer going to be? I have the 3.55 and a T18 and I don't think I'd start having problems with anything up to a few thousand punds but it's pretty flat here and I have a turbo..... I would be a bit afraid of towing heavy with this thing, I'd do it if I had to or really wanted to, the old IH would do it, but I'd have to be careful.

I dont know exactly how heavy the trailer is, its 20' overall and its built out of mostly 1/8" and 1/4" steel

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure my little trailer is 1200#, 16' flat deck, the 20' 10k tips the scales low to mid 3k, I think 3300# :eek: so it really depends on what you are using, either way I'd hate to drag a 5-7k trailer over the 7000' summit with a gasping NA IDI, turbo? Sure! But when you get out and walk the rest of the way to get there sooner than the rest of the truck cookoo

As far as gearing, CA has a 55mph max combination speed :rolleyes:-cuss so the lack of overdrive is moot, just be sure to start out Monday morning to get there by Sunday night :rotflmao

I almost towed a diesel Benz back from Reno this week, but the deal fell through

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A U-haul car trailer tips the scales at 3k.
my '92 didn't even feel the trailer or the MBZ 300D behind it.:eek:
I was a little over 14k GCVW.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
A U-haul car trailer tips the scales at 3k...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How did they pull that off? my heavy trailer is huge and all steel!

Flat towing shouldn't be a problem, might want to learn how to turn the fuel down on the side of the road before the summit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance