Powerstrokehelp.com opinions

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your guys opinion of the guy/ videos from Powerstrokehelp.com? He appears to know what he's talking about but he certainly in the business of selling a product/ service. They have a lot of videos out and I was just wondering what you guys thought of their information.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For basic knowledge, he is ok. That is, if you know nothing, you can at least learn some things. But for the most part, he is a douchenozzle that is trying to sell his services.

The fact that he changes the HPOP oil tells you everything.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I compare him to Jesse ventura. Lol
Can't really say there's a lot on the 7.3.
One that I watch sometimes is "dieseltechron," iirc.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched lots of his videos. Like above, for basic maintenance he is about right. Performance and advanced stuff he is a little off the mark. the HPOP drains into the oilpan, he even says it in the "Change your HPOP oil" vid.

His teardowns of the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4L diesels is a nice watch for information purposes. But take his advice with a few grains of salt and a bunch of common sense. There are more than a few forums who directly bash this guy and his rebuttle isn't too solid. Specifically his performance stuff. His numbers have no factual or documented basis.

Just like any other shop, he is out there to make money, as would anyone else in the field. He does seem to want to legitimately want to help out the newbees which is noble but some of his shortcuts are not cool.

At the end of the day, consider this guy to be one of a varying source of information and take from it what you find useful, but do not consider him to be the end all be all expert in diesel engines.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I compared a sample of the HPOP oil to the crankcase oil they looked identical on my 97 w/ 170k miles on it.

However, some of the oil in the HPOP "could" be left behind after oil changes. I look at the HPOP reservoir as a bucket that is being "topped off" by the LPOP. There is probably oil left behind that doesn't circulate (think filling a bucket with water till it constantly overflows)....is that bad? I don't know, I've never changed my HPOP oil yet on either truck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with siphoning out the HPOP res on an oil change. It basically means you're leaving one less quart of dirty oil in the truck. But of course, that's where PowerstrokeHelpDork is cookoo ; he claims that it specifically helps the HPOP, which of course it DOESN'T. So do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want; just don't get the wrong idea as to why.

And man, does he like to throw in the additives (i.e. product sales)...... I can justify fuel additives such as PS or even marine two-stroke, given what has been said about ULSD fuel and given the temperatures we run these trucks. But fuel additives burn up right away with the fuel; there should be no reason for any additive in any system that "retains" fluid (oil, tranny, etc). If that system needs an additive, what it really needs is something to be fixed. The obvious exception is SCA, but since that's an "essential", I consider it part of the coolant mix and not really an "additive". I just think the guy likes to sell these "fixes in a bottle".

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me. Do the 7.3L PSD need SCA additives like the IDI?
Technically, yes. I've _heard_ that cavitation is rare, but it's cheap insurance. And lately, the cheapest option is Fleet Charge, which is conventional non-ELC anti-freeze (aka "green", even though it's dyed pink) pre-charged with SCA. Order it online from Advance Auto for store pickup, with a 30% discount code, and it's just north of $11 / gallon.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'll admit, I have sucked the hpop reservoir oil out before.
Imo, it did seem thicker/darker. But in all reality, probably just in my head.
But that was when I was a psd newb.
I agree with madpogue on additives to a point. But stuff like hot shots secret injector cleaner/sticktion eliminator for the oil side is great stuff. Far as I know, my injectors are original. And it did seem to make a difference in how it ran.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've read the same. Something to do with the injector cup material.

Yup. I've also heard it was something with the early forms of sealant used on the cups.

I was discussing it with leeland, he asked around and it seems to maybe be some tall tale hear say.
But no one has a definitive answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.